canon UC900 - help needed with picture break up

M

moonsparkle

hi, im new :)

i havent used my canon uc900 for a while, and now need to transfer some tapes to digital for editing on the PC in order to bung some footage on YouTube.

ive got absolutely no idea what im doing.

ive had a look through the FAQs and it looks like i'll have to use firewire, ok i will research that on here, thanks.

the problem ive got to start with is this:

i played back a tape this morning and the picture was breaking up to the extent where the image was almost unviewable. after that, the image wouldnt show at all, all i got was noise. i tried another tape, same problem, almost total picture break up.

(idiot girly question alert)...so do i need to clean the heads? the manual says dont use fluid so thats obviously a no no. yes, youre right in thinking the heads have never been cleaned (however my bathroom's sparkling, honest.)

please dont laugh at me, i know im being a bit thick here.

any help gratefully appreciated. if you live in sheffield and want to come round and help i'll make you a cup of tea and some home made brownies.

jude

redsox_mark

Novice Member
Yes, the first thing I would try is to clean the heads (get a head cleaning tape and run it through the camcorder).

Your camcorder is a 8mm analogue model, so it won't have Firewire. You would have to get a device which converts the analogue outputs to a digital format - e.g. DV, or MPEG2.

Or you could solve both problems at once and get a new camcorder.. :)

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Sometimes picture break up can be resolved by running the tape right through end to end and back again using the FF and RW controls, this will make sure none of the tape snags against its caseing. I always do this with brand new tapes, the amount of times I have ended up with picture break up by just inserting a brand new tape in is anybodys guess. The best cost effective way to transfer analogue video to PC is to use a TV card with video in but make sure the TV card has a Hardware MPEG encoder on board if your processor in the PC is not exactly fast, >2.6Gb and 1Gb Memory available. You will also need a software package that can do all the video transfer to DVD work.

M

moonsparkle

Yes, the first thing I would try is to clean the heads (get a head cleaning tape and run it through the camcorder).
will do, many thanks redsox_mark. :)

Your camcorder is a 8mm analogue model, so it won't have Firewire. You would have to get a device which converts the analogue outputs to a digital format - e.g. DV, or MPEG2.
ok thats interesting, again, thanks. :)

Or you could solve both problems at once and get a new camcorder.. :)
yeah, its first thing on my list when i get a publishing deal, LOL! :) until then, im an impoverished author im afraid! :cool:

Sometimes picture break up can be resolved by running the tape right through end to end and back again using the FF and RW controls, this will make sure none of the tape snags against its caseing.
thanks for your advice, andy. ive tried this and it improved the break up problem a bit, but theres still loads of horizontal break up lines so i think i will get a head cleaning tape and try that too. :)

The best cost effective way to transfer analogue video to PC is to use a TV card with video in but make sure the TV card has a Hardware MPEG encoder on board if your processor in the PC is not exactly fast, >2.6Gb and 1Gb Memory available. You will also need a software package that can do all the video transfer to DVD work.
:suicide: duh...oh no! i KNEW this was going to be complicated! :) thanks so much for your advice, it is REALLY appreciated andy :) i will come back and let you know how i get on once its done. :)

:hiya: cheers guys :hiya: :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom