canon sx200is or panasonic tz7

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by daveydw, Jun 14, 2009.

1. daveydw

daveydw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    canon sx200is or panasonic tz7 i need help deciding between the two i will be using it for holidays etc is there a difference in image quality between the two thats visible to the untrained eye using them in auto
    also the loose dial i here and read alot about on the tz7 is this a problem

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,534
    I was in the same boat and ordered the TZ7 (which hopefully will arrive tomorrow).
    Most of the review sites come out in favour of the TZ7...a factor which helped me decide was the fact that you can use the zoom on HD recording on the TZ7...you can't on the Canon.

3. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Got my TZ7 the other day after selling all my DSLR stuuf. So far it has taken some good pics. the HD recording is also useful but the footage is a bit jerky on panning, not sure if it is my TV display or it is a 'feature' of the camera.

I sold my stuff because I thought I would use the compact a lot more and would rather get some decent pics and video that none at all.

4. daveydw

daveydw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    me to jazz i recently sold all my DSLR gear but still want a decent small camera to keep taking photo,s how do you find the dial on the tz7 and are your photos upto now as sharp as the sample pics i see on reviews

5. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I find the dial too loose. Along with the daft switch for playing/shooting, they combine to ensure my missus normally gets in a fix when trying to get a quick shot.

I was at a wedding this weekend. Took the TZ7 along with my D60 SLR. Nobody should kid themself that the TZ7 can do the same job as an SLR - they are entirely different beasts.

6. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,534
    Yes but anyone with a good knowledge of photography and digital cameras knows that.
    The one thing that sells a TZ7 is its HD recording capability.
    And...with respect to your missus most of us who hang around this forum wouldn't get in a muddle operating it :D

7. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Obviously it can't replace a DSLR and the TZ7 hasn't got apeture or shutter speed settings. It has go lots of scene modes for everything you need, eg. a 2 baby scenes which limits the flash to keep the detail. This setting could also be used for other stuff so you have to learn the camera and get used to what the scene modes do.
    I haven't taken loads of pictures with it yet, only snaps so far but the quality is good, some need tweaking on Lightroom to improve them but you can get some very good results as you can see on Flickr.

8. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I thought since two posters had commented they replaced their SLR with a TZ7 it was worth adding some balance.

Right of course! The fact remains they are design shortcomings that really should have been corrected before manufacture. I find it immensely irritating. Virtually every time I want to take a picture even just in Auto I have to switch on, slide the play/shoot switch and reset the mode dial.

9. MorningGlory90

MorningGlory90
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was in the exact same situation a few weeks ago when deciding on a new camera with these sorts of specifications and I chose the TZ7 over the SX200IS. Mainly because as most people said the video is better on the TZ7 as well as it taking great pics.

You can actually from what I read on the reviews zoom while videoing with the SX200IS, however not optically only digitally I believe. Either way because of that it swung the favour to the TZ7 for me which I'm glad I got in the end as it really is the best digital camera I've got for what I want to do with it.

10. Hem

Hem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I also spent ages deliberating over this same question. After owning nothing but Canon for the past 15 years I really wanted the SX200 to be the better camera, however the lack of zoom during video as well as the pop up flash were really putting me off. As soon as I compared both camera's side by side there was really no comparison, the SX200 is physically larger than the TZ7, not much on paper but in the real world it is quite a difference. Also the feel and finish of the Canon is quite poor in comparison, very 'plasticky' and not as solid as the TZ7.

As you probably have I spent a long time scrutinising pictures from both of these to try and establish whether one was better than the other - I think here the Canon slightly edges it but not much in it.

Finally opted for the Panasonic and so far have been very impressed, only gripe for me is the potential battery issue, not being able to pick up cheap 'bay' replacement batteries, although this looks as though it may have been resolved - as long as you don't update to the latest firmware! Other issue is the much mentioned jog wheel which does have the annoying habit of occasionally moving when you pick up the camera - although my old Canon had the same problem - so maybe just down to my own clumsiness!

So, in conclusion, a few small niggles but apart from that a very happy TZ7 owner here.

11. ginjaninja

ginjaninja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm in the same situation at the moment and have just got back from a high street camera shop asking them about both models.
    After playing with both, I really don't see much difference in size between the two and I thought the Canon had the edge on build quality. It's zoom is also slightly faster than the Panny.
    I think however, (but am prepared to be corrected) that the TZ7 has a better lens.
    I wanted to like the TZ7 as I like Panny as a make but found the menu wasn't as user friendly and the lack of manual setting is a big no-no for me.
    Yes, the pop up flash could initially be a bit irritating but I'm sure I can get used to that.
    So, it looks like the Canon for me, but I'll have a look at a few more postings 1st..!

12. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had a TZ7 for a few days and sent it back as I didn't like the look of it's images. They just didn't compare to my old camera. Too grainy even at low ISO's and the colours could be very strange there was also a lot of colour bleed when viewed at 100%. All my monitors are 1920 X 1200 and colour calibrated and the flaws really showed. Optical zoom during shooting video wasn't a good enough reason to keep it. It seem's to perform best in inteligent auto but makes some crazy choices about ISO's where noise really does become a problem.

I now have a SX200 and I'm far happier, the Video is on a par. To me the Canon Photo's are more pleasing. If you've had a canon in the past you may be unhappy with the image quality of the TZ7.

Also with the £40 cash back it only cost £209 from Amazon.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  13. lfc1892

lfc1892

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm glad some other people have found issues with the tz7's colour issues. It takes good pictures, but colour accuracy was awful. I bought one and took it back after a few days of not only poor colour accuracy, but poor colour consistency too. Had a replacement which did the same. Switched to a canon sx200 which had no such issues at all. Great colours and great photos for a compact. Very impressive flexibilty too. There is an awful lot more you can do with it than the panasonic. Or it can just be put in easy mode and away you go. The video is good, but a little jerky on panning, as is the tz7. Overall, a much better camera than the panasonic. Why 'much' better? Because the colours were really that inaccurate. I googled a few reviews online and found a pro review that found the same issue.