Canon Software

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Analogue, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst I have done a lot of camcorder -edit- write to DVD work I am a complete novice when it comes to digital cameras.
    I have recently got a Canon Ixus 800is with which I am delighted but now want to copy around 250 images from the SD card to a CD-R that I can use to view my images on my PC or on the TV via the DVD player, and obviously select some for printing enhancing etc. whilst I re-use the SD in my camera

So insert my SD card into the slot on my PC and a formatted blank CD-R into my DVD- Rewriter. Canon Camera window opens and displays thumbnails of my images with the correct orientation. I select all and go to download and browse to the drive with the CD-R and select. I then get error message that says drive is CD-ROM select another folder! DVD-identifier says its a RW drive and a R disc.

What am I doing wrong?

I tried another disc same problem.
    I then used Explorer to copy from SD to CD no problem but images are not corrected for orientation when shown on PC or TV.

2. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Firstly, you should copy the files to a folder on your hard disk. I've never tried copying straight from card to cd, but I'd not recommend it. While the images are on your PC, you can view them in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. This also allows you to rotate the images. You can then write them to a CD.

The step after that is to start editing them it programs like Photoshop Elements...and then we've lured you to the Dark Side...post processing!

3. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Yandros. I do not see why one cannot copy direct from SD to CD. It works using standard windows utilities but the copies are not with orientation info.. Dont forget the S/W it says the DRIVE. is incorrect!

However I will try copy to folder and then copy to disc. It appears that the Canon S/W will apply correct rotation in most cases otherwise will have to troll through 250+ images and rotate one by one?? - what a pain. However once CD copy is made I cannot see point of retaining folder as image can be recovered for post processing from CD although I may put a selection of the better ones onto my 300 Gb external drive (hardly takes any room I suppose compared to DV video!)

4. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    The main reason I wouldn't try to go SD to CD is speed of media (even if windows let you).

You can send the first image in a folder to the picture viewer, then step through them all very quicky, rotating as you go.

I archive data as part of my day job, and Rule #1 is keep your data in more than one place. Rule #2 is use different media types if possible. I'd back your images up to 2 CDs AND a hard disk copy. All you need is a bad disk and you've lost the lot!

5. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes going via an intermediate folder works OK. Also have found that in Canon Zoom Browser EX that if you select all thumbnails after download and go to Edit and select "Rotate according to rotation information" the S/W steps through all 250+images and rapidly automatically applies rotation as required to file in folder so CD plays properly orientated images!:clap:

6. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    As Yandros has said, Writing CDs "direct" would have been via a temp file on the HDD anyway , This happens even in a direct optical disc to optical disc copy

Buffer overrun ( due to a CD writer waiting for data from a slower source) would be the risk of a direct transfer from SD card, rather than the much faster HDD

At any rate, HDD folder makes it easy to make another CD and also copy to Ext HDD

You seem to have put the quest for holy grail in digitising your analogue suorces on hold:D

7. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    If you have Vista then you could try this.

THere is an inbuilt program called Windows Moviemaker. It is in NO WAY the best out there, but it is free.
    All i do is open up all the footage i have (sometimes over 3 tapes (3 hours!!!) in Hi-Def footgae 1080i.
    Then movimaker just gets all the data and compresses it enough to fit perfectly onto a DVD in about 3 clicks.
    If you are making a DVD and you dont care about qaulity too much then that is a VERY easy way to go.
    I used it for a mates wedding and he is perfectly happy with the quality, probably between VHS and DVD.

If i want a DVD full of 1080i footage i would use a 3rd party program, but so far havent needed to justify spending all the money on one when i have Windows moviemaker.

8. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting but sorry whats that to do with making CD's of still photos?

9. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811

Very good slide show making programs aren't that costly or difficult to use. Microsoft has Photostory even for XP as a freebee add-on to WMM

but I take your point

However , A program like Proshow gold will allow you ( in addition to the slideshow with music and transitions and titles), Have the original image files for printing so the disc would act as a means of viewing them at high quality as well as archiving them

I digress however as I know Analogue is a bit of a whizz (Kid??) in the video editing dept
    What I think he wanted was an easy way to put the images on a CD such that the orientation would be corrected for viewing without needing to do them indiviually ( he a busy man:cool:)

As it happens Most DVD players now actually have software to enable them play Jpeg Images on a CD as a slideshow..
    Some even do it off a media card
    Although seldom used ,My TV( A Phillips Cineos) has USB and media card slots which can similarly read images and display them directly as a slideshow (in HD)..:rolleyes: What will they think of next:confused:

10. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Analogue,
    I was posting while you were but I suspect the bit about viewing the images on a TV are what grabbed Highlander1s attention
    Saying that, Your CD can be an archive for the images as well as a slideshow depending on what you use
    Just to reiterate my earlier post, CDs/DVD can be unreliable and other backup strategies are desirable:)

11. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Senu yes perhaps I was expecting too much but my original query was really why the Canon Camera Window S/W does not see my DVD-RW drive as such but says its a CD-ROM drive only. However the solution I have found using another part of the Canon S/W is very straightforward and produces a CD with the rotation corrected in minutes.

Will e-mail re digitising analogue sources.