Canon Software - Anyone use it???

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by stuart07970, May 3, 2007.

1. stuart07970

stuart07970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +358
    Just got a 400D, and just starting to feel my way around it!

Many thanks to the community here for all their views!
    (I've been lurking around for ages!:hiya: )

I'm a Apple Mac user who's very happy using the Apple supplied iPhoto application. (So not planning on spending any money on Photoshop yet)

Does anyone here use the Canon software that comes with the 400D?

Is it worth the trouble of installing it?

Any unique features in it that you couldn't live without?

Or should I just stick with iPhoto?

Your views would be greatly appreciated by this 'noob' !

Stuart

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    The Zoom browser that comes with it is not indispensable nor is the Photostitch but its fun if you want to try it. Zoombroser also lets you view Canons RAW images as thumbnails
    Similarly, the EOS utility allows you to have tethered control of the camera
    What this means is that you can connect up your camera to a PC by USB and actually control it from there and download the image direct to your HDD
    For studio type shots it is like using your mouse as the remote control and down loading the images immediately
    There is also DPP: this is Canons "free" RAW image software. Nikon Users have to pay up to £100 for similar *( ducks for cover)* It is both Mac and PC compatible. For correcting white balance, fixing exposure, changing picture styles ect , it is great
    I Use it virtually everyday as I shoot RAW almost exclusively now

Online Tutorials on DPP HERE

There are other Tutorial relvant to the camera THIS WAY more for 350D but just as relevant to the 400d
    I would install the software. one day you might get curious enough to use them and discover they are very handy!

As for iphoto .. If it suits your current needs , fine. If you don't want to stretch to Photoshop ,( you may not need to) there is always Photoshop Elements for the Mac which costs £40-50

3. stuart07970

stuart07970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +358
    THANKS senu !

For such a detailed answer

cheers :smashin:

4. Chunder

Chunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I've been using iPhoto (on the Mac) for a year or two now, and am pretty happy with how it works; it has rudimentary image manipulation features for quick tweaks, which suits me 99% of the time, but you can also set it to open the image for editing in an external editor, which is pretty useful sometimes.

It also happily works on RAW files, although to get the most out of them you'll probably also want a dedicated RAW workflow application - I'm currently trying to get to grips with CaptureOne LE, as I got a free license with my Sandisk memory card from Play.com...

Regarding the Canon apps - they're still sealed in the original packaging :)

5. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    So did I , my 2 licenses(s) from 2 X 2Gb Extreme III cards still remain unused

Install them , play with them
    DPP is a powerful dedicated RAW work flow application ( look at that link) which you didn't have to pay for:smashin: As I said , If you had a Nikon you'd have to pay for it . Free doesn't mean not great
    It is designed to be used with RAW files from a Canon DSLR..Why use any thing else? ( Unless you dont use RAW)
    Photostitch, EOS utilities, Zoom Browser are fun to use . Capture one would love you to buy the Pro version, i photo is cool but Apple would love you ultimately to graduate to Aperture
    Canon has no hidden agenda with their software
    What are you waiting for??:)

6. Chunder

Chunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Yeah, but I loathe and detest the Canon software that is installed for my scanner (CanoScan 8400F) so I didn't want to get more crap like that on the machine :)

7. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Hmm... using the same analogy, The "free" software that comes with Sony camcorders is abysmal

Conversely,the paid for Sony Vegas Editing software is fantastic and justifiably very popular, obviously not written by the same team:(
    These Corporations are large and have different teams of Software writers for the various Depts whose performance varies widely.
    As a result Some companies just bundle OEM copies of established software to avoid needing to develop their own
    Back on topic however, The Software that comes with the Canon DSLRs is quite good and I wouldn't let the experience with the Scanner software influence that. I would suggest the software with the Canon Pixma Printers is equally very well written
    Just have a look at the website I linked