1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon S60 vs S70 - opinons ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Dr_Mike, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Been thinking about getting a digicam for the last couple of months and had pretty much decided on a Canon S60, the clincher being the 28mm equiv wide angle (With film cameras I've always found propper wide angle more useful than long telephoto).

Now I've seen the S70 for only £20 to £30 more than the S60, my question is, is it a better camera other than in plain pixel-count ? The reason I ask is that I've seen some reviews of some new 8MP models which say the image quality is actually worse than on the 5MP models which they are replacing.

Any other models I should consider. Budget is around £300 and the 28mm equiv wide angle is a requirement as my main interest is landscapes.

2. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I use the S60 as a carry around and think it's great. The S70 wasn't around when i was looking but i don't find the S60s lack of pixels a problem next to the 8MP 20D. That said, with only a 20quid difference i'd probably opt for the 70 over the 60, if i was buying now.

3. merlynn

merlynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iv'e had a S70 for a couple of weeks now and have been very pleased with it, the price has just been reduced and you should be able to get it for around £319/£330 Jessops will price match with many online retailers try Here it is offered at £319.99

4. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've been very happy with my S70. Amazing quality piccies. Closeup mode is way superior to my previous Kodak. I bought mine from eB*yer about 3 months ago, it was under £300 but as it turns out it's a Canadian/US model. I had to buy a universal power adapter so I could charge it, but otherwise it's fine. I don't recommend eB*yer though! Shame U can't charge it with the USB connector or an external AC adapter [unless U spend another £40], battery must be removed to charge, so I bought a 2nd clone battery from eBay for £6.

5. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the replies. S70 it is. Just ordered for £299 +£8 P&P from UKdigital. No stock at the moment so I might have to wait a bit.