1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

canon 'remove cassette' error

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by applevenus, Jan 17, 2004.

1. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am experiencing an infuriating problem with my Canon MV30i.

Back in November I brought it back for repair and it cost me about 130euro. It's just over 3 years old and apart from this problem functions perfectly fine.

Here's the problem : I turn on the device and open it to input a tape.
    When the tape is spooled and ready to use I almost immediately get an error message "Please Remove The Cassette".
    I only use good JVC or Panasonic tapes - the camcorder itself has had light use (certainly less than 200-300 hours).
    It's never been anywhere where there's sand/dirt etc.

The repair is probably still under warranty but before I bring it back to the shop can anyone shed light on this problem? I've had no luck googling it - but what I've read about some other Canon camcorders leads me to suspect that it's a known problem... that Canon won't own-up to.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Have you tried cleaning the heads?

At a push you could get a DV cleaning tape, but the best bet would be a cotton bud and alcahole (Vodca will do if its all you've got :D ) such as surgical spirit etc.
    You say that you use different makes of DV tapes. This is a well know cause of problems with DV cam heads getting clogged as diff tapes have diff coatings. In future I would suggest sticking to just the 1 make.

Might help!

Mark.

3. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The difficulty is finding the alcohol. It has be Ethilic Alcohol. Widely available in Europe at any Pharmacy, but VERBOTTEN in this kingdom country due to all the park bench bozos. Surgical spirit is all you can get and is no good at all.