1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon Powershot S80 v MiniDV camcorder?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Erick, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Erick

Erick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Canon Powershot S80 has the ability to shoot XGA video (1024x768) at 15fps, and I was wondering how this would compare in terms of image quality to a MiniDV camcorder of a similar price - £385. I realise that I'd need to buy a large SD card too, probably a 1gb card and I'd back it up on a portable hard drive or, if it's compatible an ipod. I'm not sure what the exact video resolution is for MiniDV camcorders but I doubt it matches the S80.

Go here for movies samples from the S80. The XGA sample looks fantastic.

Plus it takes great photos too! [​IMG]

Any suggestions? Are there any other cameras planned that have XGA video?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    My advice is that if you want to take still photos then get a camera, but if you want to take video then get a dedicated camcorder. Although cameras are getting better at taking video & vice versa, there is still a big compromise on not useing the correct tool for the job.
    PAL video is 576 lines at 25 frames per second. Therefore the S80 will take higher definition video to fill a HiDef LCD screen, but not at the full refresh rate that will result in jerky movement.

Mark.

3. Erick

Erick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand what you're saying. I have an A80 and the video is shocking, but my parent's IXUS V3 takes 640x480 video at 15fps and I find that to be perfectly watchable if a little pixelated at times. XGA video would completely eradicate that.

Our current camcorder is about 8-9 years old. It's a Hitachi 8mm monster. How will a MiniDV camcorder compare in terms of image quality with that?

Thanks.

4. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Rather better...plus the advantage of transfer to DVD with no loss in quality.. :smashin:

I have a Panny MV750i DV, and a old Panny SVHS camcorder, which still produces excellent results. Bit like CD vs a good record deck if you get what I mean....

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I would say that there is a good chance that any stills camera will show pixalation on video due to the very high real time compression that is required to get the video onto a memory card.

Your old 8mm camcorder may well give better PQ in low light conditions as all modern DV cams are poor in low light unless you spend a fair bit of money on them and get a prosumer cam. However, in all other conditions DV should give a far superiour PQ to Video8 & Hi8 cams.

Mark.

6. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    One's a camera, one's a camcorder simple as that....you wouldn't buy a sword to mow your lawn just because it cuts !

7. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    You could cut your lawn with a strimmer but it would not collect the grass, not be as good a cut and take a lot longer!!!!

I really quite like the idea of a camera that does superb pictures but can also do video for the rare occasions that you want to use it as a camcorder.
    The one main disadvantage as a camera I can see is the inability to save RAW images for later manipulation.

I'm also considering the JVC GZ-MG70 as a 2Mp camera in a HD camcorder, especially as I currently save a lot of my pictures as 2Mp anyway as the pq is ok.

Steve