1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon Powershot S60 or Olympus C765?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Grubert, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I'm looking for a digital camera. Typically I'd use it for holidays and to take pictures of the family (especially of a baby to come as we speak :clap: ). I usually make prints, but never poster-sized ones.

I had almost decided on the Powershot S60 when a friend of mine showed me her Olympus C770. Now I'm thinking of getting the 765 (very similar to the 770), which is now cheaper than the S60.

The S60 has 5MP (which I don't need), is more portable and uses CF cards, as opposed to the Olympus proprietary ones. On the other hand, the 765 has a longer zoom (I don't usually photograph sports or nature, so I'm not sure if I need that) and has a better picture quality.

Any advice or feedback from any owners of either model would be much appreciated.

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,197
    Well you may be interested in this thread.

The Canon does go wider than the Olympus 28mm to the Olympus 35mm but at the other end you do get a better zoom the canon is 100mm which is about 2* on normal eyesight whereas the Olympus is 380mm which is 7.6* eyesight. I cannot see the extra megapixel making that much difference.
    The viewfinder on the Olympus is electronic this means you can use the little eyepiece to compose your shoots as well as the LCD on the back which I personally prefer especially when the sun is shining, oh the electronic bit when you zoom the picture in the eyepiece zooms. There is a wealth of options on the camera which will allow you to grow from happy snaps to more experienced ones when you want to advance.
    As to sports digital photograph is not really suited to it as there is lag from clicking the button to the picture being captured.
    I do not know the price of CF cards are but the price of xD are down a lot at present at Amazon so they could compare very favourable.

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Once you've gone from a 3 x to a 10 x zoom ypou soon see how much more scope they have . Not sure if the 765 would be better picture quality then the S60, on par maybe but not better.

If you're going to really be taking shots indoors then there isn't really a need for the 765. But in my opinion its always better to have the choice, and i think the 765 would give you best of both worlds.

There are other 10x zooms like the new panasonic Z20 which really does look a great camera and then there's the Canon S1 (which i once had). Both have image stablization which is very handy on large zoom lenses.

So my two pence would be to go for a zoom lens. Becaue once the lil fella comes you'll be out and about and that zoom will come in very handy. With all that baby gear coming with you the 765 wont make much difference

Zooms are very good for taking candid shots, you dont have to get on top of say your children playing, once they become aware that they are being photographed, you miss that natural aspect. With a zoom you can keep your distance and get those natural shots

Really popular camera the 765 on this forum. It's not the only Zoom camera out there but its one of the best

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,197
    Very good point Sean you remember the shot I took of the guy fishing, I do not think he would have been happy if I had gone right up to him to take the shot but the zoom allowed me to fill the screen and shoot form a way away.
    I have not really noticed the need for steady shot even at full zoom, but I do have a technique for holding steady.

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I do mate.

I always left the IS on actully so i cant compare what it was like at full focal length without it, where it really came in to its own was on shutters speeds of 1 sec and more at night.

I really need a zoom lens now, really missing my zoom:laugh:

6. MattB1

MattB1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 765 and it's an excellent camera. You don't really miss image stabalising in very good light because the shutter speeds are quick enough for it not to be an issue. At slow shutter speeds (e.g. night mode) a tripod of some sort is a must. Overall the picture quality is outstanding and the manual features give plenty of scope for improving as a photographer. The main down side to it is that focusing in low light is poor but you learn to get round this by using focus lock or manually focussing. Also when you've had a 10 X zoom, there is no going back. They are so useful, particularly with kids as Garret and Keanboy have both mentioned.

M.