1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon PowerShot/IXUS S500 or Sony DSC-W1 ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by monsieurblack, Jul 29, 2004.

1. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all
    i'm just after a little advice please. i'm off to the states soon [just for a quick break...] and would love to get a digi camera. i've never had one before and must have been the sole buyer of the disposable jobbies :blush: :thumbsup: so as much info/guidance as you're prepared to give would be very much appreciated.

right, i'm after a small camera to take with me almost all the time, i can't justify spending the cash if i'm only gonna use it for 'special occasions' :rolleyes: after a little investigation myself i have whittled down the huge array of cameras down to a few that i feel would fit the bill, so to speak.

the Canon PowerShot/IXUS S500 looks like a great little camera, we have a g3 here at work and am impressed with 'canon' as a whole.

the Sony DSC-W1 also looks superb [i like the black'n'silver one :cool:] has a nice big lcd and from first impressions looks to be an equal to the canon s500. they both are 5mp and have a relatively similar 'feature list' from what this novice here can figure...one thing i do like the sound of is the movie feature on the sony. i understand and appreciate it will be absolutely no scratch on a dedicated video camera, but as a 'bonus' its appears to pretty useful.

so then, thats pretty much as far as i've got. i was also looking at the Sony DSC-T11 but think it may well be out of my price range...although it does looks sexy :D

anyone also been through the same/similar dilemma? [spl.?] from what i can gather the two models are pitted against each other and wondered if you had an insight as to who is considered the 'better' camera...or is it just down to 'personal prefernce'? as they may well be so similar???

sorry for all the questions
    any help would be great. thanks
    regards
    monsieurblack

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not a great deal in it by the looks of it i . Pro sticks are a bit pricy and a just love canon, always like to go with a dedicated cameara maker myself.

3. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I recently purchased the Ixus 430....which is the 500s little brother. I'm a total novice when it comes to digital photography and just wanted something small and sexy but high quality.

I decided that the extra pixel count on the 500 wasn't really necessasry for my needs and neither was the higher resolution movie mode. These are basically the only difference between the two feature wise.

I found this review eventually made up my mind:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S410/S41A.HTM

It suggests that overall the 430 is the better buy....so I went for that and spent the difference on a case and more flash memory.

There's another comparison between the two here:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s410_s500-review/index.shtml

From doing my research, it seems that there are other cameras that are "better" than the Ixus 430/500 these days and cheaper...but I'm very happy with mine and it looks the b*****ks.

Got my 430 from Amazon for £236 inc. delivery...the 500 is £273

If you go with the Canon, don't forget the link in this forum for a free 128Mb card. Just waiting for mine to pop through the letterbox.

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not really many better then the 500 at that price i have to disagree with you there. But it is true that most people never print pics bigger then 8X10 and most dont even come of the pc in fact. There is much more to an camera then its mp. My Canon S1 is only 3.2mp but its lens and image stabilizer and features are more advance then all camera's above. I had the ixus 400 you'd save even more money over the 430. I'd get that

5. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Keanyboy makes a very pertinent point about Megapixels. Before trawling the web I was convinced that I was gonna go for the 500 coz bigger is better. But after a bit of digging, the indoor flash performance and lower picture noise (in certain conditions) of the 430 better suited how I expected to use the camera.

The 430 and 500 are essentially the same camera and the £40 price difference is neither here nor there for most purchasers. (By the way, just missed out on getting the Ixus 400 from Digital Depot when they were clearing them at £200 - now that would've been a bargain !)

Seeing as you mention the movie feature, it's worth noting on the Canons that the maximum length of each clip is fixed no matter how large the memory card. Worth bearing in mind if you expect to play with this a lot.

6. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    wow! :eek: thanks guys so much for all your replies, i love this place! :)
    Lester, thanks for pointing out the 'top tip' for the free memory card :smashin:
    its very interesting to hear all your views on the matter, especially even going for the canon 430. what i've decided to also do is head on 'round to my local jessops [which is about a 3min walk away :blush: lol. not sure why i haven't been already!] and see if i can actually pick them up and see them 'in person' as its always difficult to get a real sense of a product by looking at pictures on the net alone, even though they are extremely helpful. i have so far only read other users views on the sony [thanks for the links!] and have to say, some do appear to be quite a few negative :( having said that, people are more likely to sit up and complain as opposed to thinking, hey! i over the moon with my camera lets post that, y'know what i mean? but even so, i'm very glad of the links you gave, and has helped no end in giving me things to be aware of and look out for. [i was impressed with some of the users shots i personally saw, but hey, i'm no expert...]
    before i head off to the store [not to buy, just to browse] i'm going to read users opinions of the canon 500 [along with the 400/430 too] and see what kinda of response that is getting.
    i'm am keen on having a 'point & shoot' still but do like the idea of being able to use a little manual control with the sony. i figure it'd be a nice gentle way of introducing some worthwhile skills, should i ever want to take the plunge in the future and get something more 'professional'. my only conern atm is a general opinion that the sony produces great photos when using the manual 'tweaks' but unfortunately when set to the 'auto' mode isn't quite up to scratch. again, i've also heard people have had no problems so i guess we'll see. it'd be nice if there were places to go to 'borrow' cameras for a day or something so you could see which you preferred, as its not easy trying to decide! aaahhh! :zonked:
    we have a canon g3 at work and have been impressed with the images it produces. i know its in a different league so to speak, but thought perhaps i could expect something at least a little similar from one of the smaller canons [?]. i'd assume that each manufacturer has there own kind of 'style' to there pictures, ie. the way they are processed by the internal software when saving to memory, compression etc. and going by the pictures from a canon [pretty much the only make i've had a chance to see the results of unfortunately...] i did like what i saw. oh, i did see pictures taken by a guy at work of a wedding he went to, with his new Fuji S5000 Digital Camera and have to be honest, wasn't really impressed. the details in the brides dress were non-existent, it actually looked pretty much like a flat solid white shape with someones head and arms stuck on top of it :rotfl: lol. and noise appeared quite high, shame as i love the look of it [just a little too big for me atm]
    back on topic, again thank you for your replies, i'm going to continue to investigate over the next week [i head off to LA friday...] and i'll report back here with my thoughts as i go along. feel free to keep adding, your comments/insight, the more info i have the better! so don't stop now ;)
    thanks again
    regards
    monsieurblack

7. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought the Canon 430 about a month ago to take on holiday and use as a 'carry around' camera in addition to my DSLR. After doing the same research you are now doing, the picture quality and better noise of the 4mp sensor (compared to the 5mp sensor) were the factors that influenced me.

My sister brought her G3 on holiday as well which produces sharper pictures but got left back at the apartment most of the time due to it's bulk and weight, just like my DSLR.

Another camera worth looking at is the Panasonic Fx5, in most of the pictures I compared on the net it was a close run between that and the 430.

If you haven't already done so check out www.pbase.com they have a search facility where you can search for pictures by camera so you can see the quality of 'real world' photographs.

8. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I recently purchased the Sony W12 (a W1 with a case and extra batteries) and I am very pleased with it. I spent weeks deciding which camera to get, being a big canon fan I was originally only looking at the canon range, especially the high quality G series, but then I re-assessed what I actually needed in a digital camera. I have an old canon slr and used to do some "creative" photography and so was originally looking for something to replace that but, I haven't really used it in ages and I suppose what I really wanted was something to take good holiday snaps. But the main thing to me was a compact size, I now take the Sony with me almost everywhere, it has plenty of different operating modes and full manual, it takes AA batteries, and the movie mode is superior to any in the canon range with more FPS and movie length only limited by the size of the stick (although the sticks are more expensive than any other memory format :rolleyes: ). Quality is important to me and fair enough it is not in the same league as a G5, but it is surely as good as an ixus and it isn't a house brick! I have had 8 x 10's printed out and they look suprisingly good and with 5mp you can do some radical cropping without losing quality!
    Just thought I'd represent the Sony contingent amongst a forum full of canon users ;)

9. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Also the large LCD is fantastic :thumbsup:

10. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    he he :)
    thanks porker, much appreciated to hear your view. its noice to hear a sony user. i've been thinking a lot harder over the past few days and may just go with the sony :eek: :cool: i went into my local jessops the other day and one of the staff had actually just bought one themselves and did nothing but rave [ok, i know its their job to 'sell' it to you...but he did sound pretty genuine, to be honest it was refreshing to see someone keen on what they were talking about rather than the 'usual' shop employee :zonked:] also the canon is actually more expensive instore than the sony.
    so then, again a huge thank you to all that have posted here to help shed some light on the overwhelming decision of buying a digital camera :)
    i'll try to buy it before i leave for LA on friday, that way i'll have a good coupl eof weeks to give it a whirl and report back :thumbsup: i think i may wait til i'm on the states before i buy a memory stick [looking at the scandisk 512mb pro ultra II thingy] anyone know where i could find out if i could get the camera cheaper at duty free? just a thought...
    so there you have it...i guess i could change my mind when i get instore :rolleyes: but its looking as though i'll go for the Sony DSC-W12
    thank you!
    regards
    monsieurblack

11. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Don't forget Jessops will price match quite a number of Internet sites.

12. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    yeah :smashin:
    thanks for that...i read that in these forums a few days back. very nice ;)
    i've seen the camera over £100 cheaper at ebuyer.com so hoping they'll match to that, if not then i'll just go ahead and buy it from them [ebuyer] directly
    regards
    monsieurblack

13. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    aaahhh!!! doh!
    i went in to buy today and they couldn't match the price :( to be fare to them, they did seem to try. but alas, i left with no camera.
    now i'm not sure what to do...i fly out on friday [rapidly running out of time] and would like to have a camera for my hols. not sure whether to just go ahead and purchase from them anyway, or risk buying abroad...any views?
    basically, jessops sell the camera for £360 and ebuyer for £260 so thats one helluva saving...unfortunately i don't have the time to wait for it to be delivered [if i'm to take one away with me on my break] and the best price jessops could do was £303. so still a condsiderable saving on what their shelf price is but still not quite there. i know i can get the camera for around £220/£230 -ish in the states [based on newegg price, not too sure on 'instore' pricing :confused:] but i'm a little hesitant with buying it there for warranty reasons etc [although i will be buying an ipod :rolleyes: i feel that the camera is just gonna be more prone to 'malfunctioning' :confused:] so do i just go for it and buy here at jessops, spending around £70-£80 more than i 'could' get it for? [thats my scandisk 512mb memory stick pro ultra II ;)] or should i wait til i return off me hols n buy online at ebuyer? OR buy from the states? has anyone got any views on this/experience in buying a camera abroad/dealing with warranties etc etc etc
    so for all the questions again :blush: i was so close to buying today :( no i'm a little unsure of what to do next
    as always, thanks for your help, cheers guys
    monsieurblack

14. Johnnypanic

Johnnypanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Don't know if this site has been mentioned, but I used it when making a decision regarding which digital camera to purchase.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

cheers,

Johnnypanic

15. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi
    and yeah thanks for the link, but it is a site i am already familiar with :)
    my problem now is whats best to do in terms of actually buying the camera :zonked: [my previous post] so any help there would be very much appreciated! :thumbsup:
    thanks
    monsieurblack

16. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is the charger multi-voltage?

If it's not and you buy in the USA you will need to buy a UK charger which will probably wipe out any saving.

Also, how will you charge the battery on holiday with a 110v supply if you buy a UK model and the charger is 220v?

17. Johnnypanic

Johnnypanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Have brought a few items abroad (Canada), but they've all worked perfectly :)

Do you go to LA often ? If so, then you could always take it back when returning, if it develops a fault.

As I have relatives in Canada, I purchased my equipment in their name, so any problems I can send it to them and they'll get it sorted.

Johnnypanic

18. j0nners

j0nners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    try persisting with the price match - maybe £260 was too low but they might match something a bit higher. it's worth getting it from jessops if you can as they usually have good aftersales support.

i got them to pricematch these guys :-

http://www.cameras2u.com

19. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi again :)
    wow! you guys are the best! :cool: :smashin: thank you all SO much.
    right then, i've printed off the page for cameras2u.com with the sony w12 on and see if they can budge anymore, my gut feeling is they won't as they did look like they were really trying to barter it down for me closer to the price i found [they were on the phone speaking to 'someone']
    i do travel to the states 'fairly' regularly but only in the sense of once a year 'almost' guaranteed, possibly twice...and have a lot of friends out there, but can imagine it being kind of a hassle to sort out, shipping things across the pond etc...jessops would be the ideal place to buy from i guess...and seeing as i live literally a 1/2min walk from one :rolleyes: that may just swing it...
    so taking it all into account, i might have to just swallow my pride n buy it at £300 [if they can't move further on the price...] i just had it in my mind that i was gonna be paying closer to £250 for my camera [and then the memory stick on top]
    hhhmmm...we'll see :zonked: i only really have tonight to go buy
    thank you all again, you're stars!
    regards
    monsieurblack

20. Johnnypanic

Johnnypanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Don't forget to let us know how you get on and enjoy your holiday.

Johnnypanic

21. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    will do :smashin: i'll try and post some snaps on my return
    and thank you, crazy busy at work atm, so it going to be a very nice break away from it all :cool:
    bye for now!
    monsieurblack