1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon PIXMA iP8500 printer - any opinions ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by HMHB, Jan 4, 2005.

1. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,944
    I'm loking to get a decent colour printer so that I can print photos and am looking at maybe getting the Canon PIXMA iP8500.
    Anybody used one of these or seen any reviews ?

2. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I can't answer for this specific model, but I've now had 2 Canon printers and they have both been excellent for printing photos, so I see no reason to assume that this won't be either, especially as it's their new 'flagship' model.

3. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,944
    I think I might as well get it anyway, I'm sure canon must know a thing or 2 about printing photos !

4. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you have a look at the canon website you should be able to get some samples printed from the printers of the pixima range.

I ordered some before xmas and am still waiting, but will let you know how they look when (and if!) they arrive.

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have the 6000 with built in TFT and its jaw droppingly good :thumbsup: The photo quality blows away anything Ive seen from a high street developer :D

6. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
  7. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I use the ip5000 and find it lab like in its quality... can't imagine the 8500 being worse! ;-)

8. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got the samples through yesterday - could not notice any difference in the output from the 4000 and the 8500

was only one photo mind...

9. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,944
    I will buy one of this range, but still undecided which one to go for. I usually end up going for the top of the range though ;)

10. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,944
    I've just bought this printer and am absolutely amazed by the print quality on glossy photo paper. Just done some A4 prints from my trip to Portugal last year and can't believe just how good they are. I know it's never cheap printing at home, but it's so convenient. :)

11. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've got the IP5000 and have to agree that its an amazing printer. I have noticed that the best quality prints are when the Canon Pro gloss Paper is used, which is a costly option. What paper are you guys using?

Cookie

12. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,944
    Pro Gloss for me at the moment, but I've bought some Kodak top of the range stuff from Staples yesterday so will let you know what it's like.

13. VaMpY

VaMpY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got the ip4000 great pictures, maybe you might want to think about running costs as well as the ip 4000 only takes 3 colours and 2 blacks...guess its all about how serious you want to get with it and how much use your going to get from it

i started thinking,get the flagship model ip8500 at the start, but found the more reviews i read was there any real difference between them all 4000 - 8500

in the end i plummed for the cheapest model to buy and run,perfectly happy with it. ull be amazed at how fast these models print a photo in

just my 2 pence

hope it helps

14. hossacd

hossacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    tomshardware.com had a in deapth review of printers at the end of last year. They put the Epson R800 in front of the IP8500 for picture quailty if you look at the scans of the output the Epson has the best colour match, before this they did a review of the IP4000/5000/R300 the Epson R300 won the pack for output quailty. I was going to buy the IP5000 but went for the R300 on the basis of this review, if you download the photos from the printers and look at the wheels on the bike you will see the difference. Still to order it mind you, the fact it £50 cheaper also helps !

IP8500/R800 Review

IP5000/IP4000/R300 Review

15. priceless

priceless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the iP5000, best printer i have ever had outta epson, lexmark and hp... great quality and cheap to run :) Big thumbs up for Canon

16. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    i have the r300 printer and now the canon pixma 4000 and out of the two i definately prefer the canon and i have been an epson buyer for nearly 15 years. took a couple of photos printed them out as is , just straight to printer and the canon colours were much more true to the real life image, and this is just the 4000i model , dont get me wrong I was perfectly happy with the results of the r300 but side by side pics from the two show the epson,s weaknesses. Mike

17. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,944
    Anyone know the best place to buy ink for iP8500 and also do you have to buy them individually or do they come in packs with all the colours ?

18. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,944
    Anyone ? By the way, just corrected a spelling mistake in my last post it should have said "ink". I'm still not sure which cartridges I need to buy.

19. homerdog

homerdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    This seems to be about the cheapest place I can find, although they normally only cost about £8 in the shops, so not a huge saving.

The cartridges required are BCI-6 (all 8 of them for the 8500!). Obviously, you can buy them individually as they run out, although I haven't seen them in packs. I find photo magenta and photo cyan run out fastest, followed by yellow.

The other, cheaper, alternative is to buy compatible inks, but I don't know if they are any good or not.