Canon Photo Sharing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Jim, i'd read somewhere about welding glass too. What sort of money do you need to spend on filters, cos these things come in a whole range of prices eh?

Thanks Jim, i'd read somewhere about welding glass too. What sort of money do you need to spend on filters, cos these things come in a whole range of prices eh?

I know other will definitely disagree here but I'd start with a cheap one and if I intend to get serious about it after trying it with a cheap eBay filter I'd buy a better known branded one but I wouldn't pay the silly money prices some ask for :)

Cheers Jim, that was what I was thinking myself to be honest.

Filters - very important for landscape photography, I'd say.

If you want a 'creamy-water'-like effect during the day, then 10-stopper is the most popular choice here. Welding glass... is a bit PITA to be honest. I got one and used it only few times.

If you want to be able to correct the contrast between the sky and the ground, then ND filters is the way to go. I went for Hi-tech filters, which are the mid-class.

Just to give you an idea of the price, this is the set I went for.

filtersi.jpg

You need to add VAT to this price.

I don't actually use the Hard Edge filters that much. Most I use is the Soft Edge 0.9 (3 stops) and 0.6 (2 stops) ND grads.

I also bought a Hitech filter wallet which was another £20.

Was it worth it, would I buy it again - 100% yes.

Here is some more about all the filters and what they do when used (with examples):
Choosing a Camera Lens Filter

Here is some more about ND grad filters:
Using Graduated Neutral Density Filters

I bought some welding glass but it hasn't seen the light of day yet. Seems a bit of a PITA (as said above) but I can't justify £100+ on some filters at the moment. The B&W ones are £100+ each!!!
I would like the added advantage of just screwing one onto the front of my lens though, however, generally they will probably only fit the ones lens unless you buy some step up/step down adapters.

lovely shot

I know that Jim hates selective colour shots, so I've reworked these from last year, just to annoy him! :devil: :rotfl: ...

:D

<shakes fist> ;)

Yeah number 2 for me too Cal. :)

Lovely Harrier shot too Wayne.

I'm really glad people are posting their pics up on here....wasn't sure how it would go initially. Keep 'em coming folks :)

I'm really glad people are posting their pics up on here....wasn't sure how it would go initially. Keep 'em coming folks :)

Why wouldn't we? :p I feel a little guilty though that you started this thread 'cos you knew that Jim couldn't contribute. :devil: :( ... He is old you know, and needs our companionship. :devil:

Why wouldn't we? :p I feel a little guilty though that you started this thread 'cos you knew that Jim couldn't contribute. :devil: :( ... He is old you know, and needs our companionship. :devil:

Why you little..... ha ha
Jim has contributed his thoughts very well to be fair. Besides, there's always the TZ thread.

Pay no attention to the nasty man Jim!! :laugh:

:eek:

Pay no attention to that nasty wee man called Jim!! :laugh:

:eek: :nono: :thumbsdow

:p

So Nick, are you gonna invest in some filters or not? I'd like to get into a system, but they're too dear. :( And to think, I had a 20+ filter Cokin set back in the day when I had my film camera. :rolleyes: ... but they did only cost 2 shillings apiece.

Jim has contributed his thoughts very well to be fair. Besides, there's always the TZ thread.

Pay no attention to the nasty man Jim!! :laugh:

In fact there are two LX5's on sale in the Classifieds at the moment that may well help resolve my crisis of conscience over that very matter.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom