Canon Outlet on Ebay

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by PLASMABABBY, May 27, 2005.

1. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all,

I have just purchased a refurbished Canon Powershot G5 from the Canon Outlet on Ebay. With postage it cost me approx £182. It seems a nice camera but I am not happy with it as it seems to have had quite a bit of use although the original stickers are on the camera and the box is damaged.

According to the Canon Outlet I have 7 calendar days from the shipping date to return it for a refund. I thought that the distance selling regulations allowed 7 Working days. This could be important as we have a Bank Holiday coming up. Any thoughts please?

Has anyone else had dealings with this Outlet and knows anything about the quality of their products and service? Would I be better off buying new?

Thoughts and advice would be most welcome as soon as possible as time for return is getting short.

2. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've already stated you are not happy with it, so send it back. If you don't it will always play on your mind & you will not fully enjoy your new toy ;)

You could always ask for a replacement re-furb with less visible use ?

3. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for taking the trouble to reply DJW - Seems good advice to me. I have decided to return it.

4. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,871
    Have a look here.

5. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi crocodile,
    Thanks for your input and the link. I didn't have any trouble paying for the item but their customer service looks a bit naff with the complaints of unanswered e-mails.
    I have e-mailed them to say that I wish to return the camera for a refund and am now waiting for a reply. Until I get that I have no return address.

6. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all,
    I am now having difficulty in getting a response to my e-mail request for a return address. Has anyone got either the address I need or a telephone number to contact the Canon Outlet? If so, I'd be most grateful.

7. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,871
    My previous link contained a post from Witters saying he'd returned one. You could try a PM to him.

As also suggested in his post, you can request address & phone number details from ebay.

8. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    When they eventually contacted me to arrange collection I was told that the courier would bring the address label and they would not give me it directly.

I would never use the people again.

9. 209AZ

209AZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This links to the "returns policy page" and gives a telephone number
    http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462...s/canonuk/site/productdetail/returnpolicy.htm

I have managed to return a faulty camcorder even though it was well beyond 7 days.Despite their insistance that this was not their policy,I forcefully reminded them of their duty under the Sale of Goods Act and they provided me with a reference number to stick to the parcel and a courier picked it up

Sale of Goods Act
    http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm

10. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Many thanks to all who have given me the benefit of their knowledge and experience.
    I hope that by following the experience and advice of crocodile, witters and 209AZ I should be able to sort things out but after the Bank Holiday.
    I will keep you posted on the outcome.

11. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Here again lasses and lads,
    I requested a returns number and address from canon outlet last Friday,27th May 2005 and againon Saturday and although they have acknowledged receipt of the e-mail they said that they would ask the warehouse to send me the information I required but as yet I have not received it. The 7 calendar days returns policy has now expired and I am wondering if they still have to take the camera back and refund me even though I have not returned it because of their delay in sending the Return Address.
    Things seem to be going pear shaped.

12. 209AZ

209AZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ring them up and don't take any bullsh*t.They will try and fob you off but ask to speak to someone higher up the command chain if they won't play ball.

Remind them of their duty under the Sale of Goods Act,and if all else fails threaten and if necessary take them to the small claims court !

Just don't give up ! :)

13. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +883
    There is a difference however on buying from an auction website than a physical store or a normal webstore.

You may want to check the distance selling regs but I believe these will not cover you.

209AZ - what grounds are there on the sales of goods act? 1) it has been sold as second hand 2) it was sold as used - the complaint is that it is more used than was anticipated rather than the item is faulty. Whilst some companies will buckel when threatened with litigation (even if there is no grounds for a case) from a purely theoretical angle I cannot see how you feel there is a breach of the sales of goods act requirements

14. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,871
    If it were me, I think I'd be inclined to simply re-sell it on Ebay rather than waste time & effort trying to return it. You never know, Ebay being the peculiar beast that it is, you may even get more than you paid for it!

Not ideal but probably less grief in the long run.

Just had a quick look & there's currently 3 for sale. None of these is from the Canon Outlet so it looks like they've sold all theirs. At least you won't be competing with them.

15. 209AZ

209AZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    These items are sold as refurbished and and are offered with a 12 month factory warranty.Their description says that they are 100% although they may have minor cosmetic marks.They are offered for sale by a company with an obvious link to Canon and is not an individual offering the odd second hand item

If your only grounds for wanting a refund are because your item has more cosmetic damage that you feel acceptable,then that may not entitle you to a refund,however,in my case the camcorder developed a serious fault within a few hours usage.In this case I do beleive that the sale of goods act applies.

16. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all,
    Thank you for your helpful comments and suggestions.
    I have,at last, received the address and RMZ number to return the camera. In fact I have just posted it off.
    I just hope that the refund will be made within 48 hours of them receiving the goods as it states on their website.
    Until then, I think I must be patient and give them credit for eventually getting in touch.
    Will let you know when I receive my refund.
    Thanks again.