1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon MXV1i vs Sony PC120

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by freefoo, Mar 3, 2002.

1. freefoo

freefoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I purchased a Canon MXV1i this weekend. It's a good overall camera but it has some problems with the Auto-focus and picture looks sometimes pixelated. Exporting to a Imac DV isn't a problem. But i have some quality loss when exporting back to the camera (Mac OS X and Imovie).

I have the option to trade the camera for a more expensive Sony PC120 and I think I'll trade it in tomorrow. However, would the SOny be a better choice over the Canon MXV1i?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Frank
    (Belgium)

2. ddp1960

ddp1960

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so what did you decide? I am looking at these also. I purchased the Canon Elura 10 ( MV4) but am not happy with the picture, it is not rich sharp colors and gets grainy easy ( daytime but cloudy, or indoors)
    SO now I am considering the Sony TRV17 or PC9 or PC110 or maybe the Canon VX1 ( Optura 100)
    I want something that will give me pisture quality as good as or hopefully better than my 10 year old Sony Hi8.

What does everyone think?

3. freefoo

freefoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I took the camera back a few days ago. It's nice camera overall but it had some annoying problems:

Like I wrote before, the auto-focus was very slow, specially when recording indoors or outdoors when cloudy.
    Second, it recorded its own noise. I mean, when watching your recorded footage afterwards, you could hear the buzzing sound of the tape and zooming mechanism.
    Finally I noticed some pixelation when taping mono-coloured objects like walls or doors.

Colours where nice overall but image sharpness was sometimes poor. Even at the highest resolution, the still looked a bit blurred. I went out to shoot a forest and the trees looked pixelated. Colours where very nice though, and it was cloudy that day. However, auto-focus was very bad... the thing went crazy while shooting.

Shooting still shots was nice at the highest possible resolution but the provided multimedia card gave errors while the cam was transmitting the picture to the card. You could also record pictures on tape but then the actual pixels dropped down to 670k.

Maybe one more thing to look at, the camera is difficult to operate when you have a tall hand. Don't get me wrong here but the zoom and photoshot buttons where difficult to press because of the design of the camera. My image went beserk when using one of the buttons because my hand was too tall.

Well, considering all of the above, I decided to order a Sony PCR-120. My brother (he shoots pictures/newsfootage for a living) uses a PCR-110 and he's very happy with it. The Canon has only one big advantage: it's optical stabilisation feature. Sony and other brands in the same pricerange use electronic stabilisation. That's actually the only thing I liked about the cam.

Foo