Canon MVX35I going cheap??

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by focus_driver, Jan 4, 2007.

1. focus_driver

focus_driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know the MVX35i is a discontinued model, but i can get one for £199.99

Is this a good deal, or is there a better camera out there for around £200?

The others i'd thought of are the Samsung VPD-463B [£199 from play.com], the Panasonic NVGS27B, Sony DCRHC35 or the Canon MVX1S .

Thanks guys.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    There seems to be a number of these older Canon models around. Both the MVX35i and the MVX1S are very good camcorders, with quite (physically) large CCDs. Overall quality is similar between the two. The MVX1S is smaller (an advantage in terms of carrying around, can be a disadvantage in terms of holding it steady). In their time these were middle to upper end of the range camcorders.

I’d rule out the Samsung, not in the same quality league as any of the choices. The Panasonic GS27 and Sony HC35 are current, entry level camcorders, with small 1/6” CCDs. I think the older Canon models will be better.

You could also consider the new Canon entry level models (MV890, MV901)… these are good value, but still probably the MVX35i or MVX1S are better. A tougher call is the MVX450/460; this is an excellent value camcorder which has got excellent reviews, but costs more than £200. It has a smaller CCD than the MVX35i or MVX1S, but is newer and Canon has been steadily improving the quality of their offerings. Overall I’d put the MVX450/460 in a similar class as the MVX35i/MVX1S… but as they are cheaper either the MVX35i or MVX1S seems a good choice for a £200 budget.

3. toadoftoadhall

toadoftoadhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The Canon "i" cameras have digital through too, so you can digitze all the old analogue tapes. Very useful.

toad

4. Daniel B

Daniel B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The cheapest froogle comes up with is £367!

Care to share where you can get it for this price?

I'm on the verge of getting an HC35 for £189, but might be tempted by this if it is generally available for that much.

Thanks

Dan