1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon MVX10i Poor indoor picture

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by kwestwood, Oct 11, 2004.

1. kwestwood

kwestwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've recently purchased one of these and have had poor results when filming indoors. When filming indoor (by this I'm talking about a normal family home with normal lighting that you would have on in the evening) the picture is grainy and often takes on a slow motion effect. I have tried adjusting the white balance, exposure, sp/lp, shutter speed etc and it makes little difference. When theres plenty of light then the picture quality is very good, especially outdoors.

Has any body else had problems like this with Canon dv camcorders? I previously had a Panasonic which never had problems like this. Its that annoying that i'm thinking of trying to get a refund or exchange.

Thanks
    Kevin

2. Quilgy

Quilgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have a 3i which is the same family of camera. Unfortunately the indoor performance under room lighting leaves a bit to be desired. As you say, outdoors is fine.

Don't use the night setting as it causes awful smearing. Leave it on T or W and adjust the shutter speed or aperture. It seems you may have tried this already.

I really like my 3i but the low light shooting is a big let down. I ended up getting a light - unfortunately you don't have this option as the 10i has no accessory shoe.

3. kwestwood

kwestwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done a bit of investigation and my old Panasonic was a NV-DS11. It had an F value of f1.6. My new Canon's is f1.8. I've read in a previous thread that a lower F value is better for lower light shooting which perhaps exlpains why my old Panasonic did not have this problem.

Does anyone agree/disagree with this theory?

I think i'll have a look around for a f1.6 or lower camcorder.

4. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1.6 to 1.8 isn't a great difference if you are using 35mm film or larger sensor cameras but if you consider that the f stop is a ratio between the focal length of a lens and the diameter of the hole in the diaphram, then say at 10mm and an f stop of f2, the hole is 5mm in diameter, an f1.8 lens will give a 5.5mm hole, that is a heck of a difference to a small sensor