1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon MV850i - Tape motor noise

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by duncanmcewan, Apr 4, 2005.

1. duncanmcewan

duncanmcewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've just bought a Canon MV850i and I'm getting some pretty noticable tape motor noise on playback, both on tape (in camera) and also from movies copied on to my pc. I know that Canon had this issue with the MV700 range, but I hoped that the new range would be OK. Unless there is anything that can be done, I'm off to return it to the shop. Does anyone have experience of the new Sony range (DCR-HC39 or DCR-HC42). I was thinking of swapping for a Sony, but don't want to go through all the hassle if the tape motor noise is just as bad.

I know that if I get a bigger camcorder, the motor noise issue isn't so bad, but I'm under strict orders to keep the camcorder size down :) (anything for a quiet life ;) )

Hope someone out there can save my sanity before I loose faith in camcorders... I don't know anything about em and this is my first one, so not a good start :)

Dunc.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    As you already have found out the Canon camcorders are well known for having a problem with picking up motor noise. I am not aware of anybody reporting this sort of problem with any other make of camcorders, so I doubt you will with the Sony models you have listed.
    If the camcorder has an input for an external mic then you could try this, but then you have something extra to buy and then carry around.

Mark.

3. duncanmcewan

duncanmcewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that Mark. I think I'll be off to the shop to get a nice SOny, without the irritating motor whine :) Shame about the noise ... other than that the Canon is a fine, well specced camcorder.

Dunc.

4. sdkmway

sdkmway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oh no. I was looking at an 830i, if the noise is in the 850, theres a good chance its across the range.
    Kev

5. sdkmway

sdkmway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just picked up an 830i, internet price matched by Jessops. I mentioned I was concerned about the noise. They said they had had no complaints about the 800 or 850i. Still its covered by their 30 day exchange, so if its noisy back it goes. During the 8mm days I had 2 Canons and was more than pleased with them.

Kev

6. duncanmcewan

duncanmcewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kev,
    When I first noticed the issue I took the cam back to Jessops and had the bloke listen to the noise on tape and on a PDA (Solid state recording). Even he said it was "very noisy". He suggested a new cam, just in case the unit was faulty, but it was the same. I think I might try and see if they will price match on a Sony HC42. They do it for £499, but I can get it on pricerunner for 395 :)

Dunc.

7. sdkmway

sdkmway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'll have a play with it this weekend and let you know how it goes.

They price matched it with Amazon and saved me £70. Good luck with your price match.

Kev

8. duncanmcewan

duncanmcewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I basically took a 2 x 30sec recordings in an empty room in the house, one with no speech, one with me talking on it (to compare noise levels). When I played it back on the TV it was pretty bad. As I said, I tried copying it to the CFlash card in my PDA and playing it back and it was still noisy. I wasn't sure if I was being pedantic.. (Canon must make decent kit), but the bloke in the shop even agreed..hmmm....
    Maybe I noticed it right away, so every time I played it back it was the first and last thing that I noticed :)

Good luck with your Canon.

Dunc.