Canon MV550i

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by M.Joshi, Apr 25, 2002.

1. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Does anyone own this camera?

How does it compare with the XM1 model or the Sony DCR-TRV30?

What resolution are the stills?

2. Logan

Logan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I doubt this is going to be of much help but I'm toying with buying this camera as well. It's a toss up between this and the Panasonic nvmx-8.
    I've fiddled around with this in Comet and the pictures in the stills mode appeared really good. What it seems to have going in its favour for me is that it has a stop frame animation mode which will be useful as I'm looking at getting into animation in the future.

I think one of the magazines has a review of it this month so hopefully someone can fill us both in.

3. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Please could you explain what stop frame animation is.

4. Logan

Logan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Put very basically, it's where you can shoot one frame at a time.
    ie, you shoot a frame then move your model (or whatever you're animating) then shoot another frame and move etc. When viewed back, providing the movements weren't too great, then you should have what passes for animation. I'm not quite sure exactly what the animation mode is on the Canon but I'm assuming it will enable you to shoot a single frame at a time.

5. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Do you know what the difference between the Canon MV550i and the Canon XM1 is?

6. Angie

Angie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I was looking the 550i too, but now favour the Panasonic (having played with both in the shops). Reportedly, the Canon suffers from picking up mechanism noise (which the Panasonic apparently does not). Also, the zoom rocker switch on the Canon gave a loud click when released (which could be picked up), whereas the Panasonic did not. I found the Canon more difficult to control, but the Panasonic was nicely weighted and so smooth panning was easier.

Any comments from users of either?

Best wishes,
    Angie