1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon MV550i & VideoWorks Editing Software.

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by paulrow, Jul 23, 2002.

1. paulrow

paulrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Has anyone had any success with the VideoWorks video editing software bundled with Canon camcorders?

I tried doing a capture last night and it seemed to talk to the camcorder O.K. but the captured audio was all over the place - strange digital stuttering etc.

I am using a fairly high spec PC - Athlon 1800+, 256Mbyte DDR (2700), 133MHz Hard disk, Via KT333 chipset.

I would rather not spend any more cash at this time on extra software since all I want to do is remove some unwanted footage from my tape and record it back on to another.
    If the VideoWorks software cannot even do this most basic of tasks then I may as well use the CD as a coaster and be resigned to the fact I need to spend more on proper software.

If anyone has used it successfully then I know that by spending some time with hardware settings (e.g. hard drive DMA etc) then it should be possible to make it work.
    I believe a patch is available on the web also that brings it up to the latest version but I'd rather not waste time on it if's totally brain-dead.

2. jewbo

jewbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep. i had the same problem with my 450i. but i already had adobe premier and use that and it works fine.

3. paulrow

paulrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hadn't properly installed my motherboard drivers so my system was underperforming.

If anyone else is having problems check that your Hard drives are set up to use DMA (not the default for windows 98). Some drivers (e.g. Asus 4 in 1) will set this up.

I can now do basic editing using the VideoWorks software but I'm not super impressed with the user interface.

4. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having DMA enabled is an absolute MUST if you're going to use your system for NLE. It should be a simple case of going to device manager, selecting the properties of your HDD & ticking the "enable DMA" box.
    For NLE, you're also much better advised to use a seperate HDD for video only.