1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon MV530i Video Transfer To PC Problem

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by chrisp, Jan 5, 2005.

1. chrisp

chrisp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope someone can help with the following.

I have a refurbished Canon MV530i camcorder that was bought in October on eBay through the official Canon site.

On my main drive, which is running Windows XP Pro+SP2, the IEEE1394 interface card is correctly installed and working but MovieMaker(v2.1.4026.0) gives an unspecified error if I try to capture video even though it correctly detects the camcorder.

Similarly, the Presto VideoWorks (v5.00) supplied with the camcorder fails to connect to the camcorder for capture, although again, it correctly detects the camcorder.

If I switch to my reserve drive, which is running XP Pro+SP1 I can capture with MovieMaker and the .avi file is saved correctly to the drive. I haven't as yet tried capturing with VideoWorks on that drive.

If I then switch back to my main drive and try to open the .avi file with Movie Maker I get the following error #####.avi could not be imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted. If I try with VideoWorks I get the error Import failed-The Specified File may not exist or may not be in an valid format..

I get similar errors when trying to play back the .avi file with Windows Media Player (Windows Media Player cannot play the file. One or more codecs required to play the file could not be found) and Nero Show Time.

I'm assuming that as my basic hardware is the same with both drives then it has something to do with SP2. I'm fairly sure I tested the capture originally on the main drive and it worked but I think at that time I was running SP1 (can't remember exactly when I did the upgrade) but haven't a clue as to what.

I've looked at the Canon site but can't find anything to help there. I've also searched the newsoft site and checked for any updated drivers for the IEEE1394 but there aren't any.

Can anyone offer any help please???

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to http://www.papajohn.org which is an independant site run by a MovieMaker Guru - browse the pages for help but if you cannot find what you are looking for there is an e-mail address on the site where you can try contacting papajohn direct.

3. chrisp

chrisp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. I had been on that site before but couldn't find my link.

Browsed the site and found a number of posts about the same sort of problem after installing SP2 due to it not registering dll's and codecs properly causing DV AVI's not to work.

Found link suggesting re-registering the qdv.dll as possible cure.

Suggested cure was to go to Start->Run dialog copy paste the
    following line and press OK.

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll

Did that and I'm now able to open the .avi file in MovieMaker, Presto VideoWorks, Nero Showtime and even Media Player so that's a result as I can edit on my "working" hard drive.

Haven't tried a fresh capture but fingers crossed that might work too.

Thanks again for the help. As always it's easy when you know how.