1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

canon mv450i vs panasonicnvmx5b?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by cunningham, Jan 3, 2002.

1. cunningham

cunningham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help. I am currently thinking of upgrading from analogue to MV Digital. I am looking for a camera which will allow me to take good quality stills to e-mail and possibly print but I am getting a bit lost. Panasonic & Canon are priced within pence of each other (approx £795) but former seems to offer twice as many pixels for stills, however Canon has the all important DV in.The question is how important is the DV in ? Will the Panasonic be old hat in no time ? Any alternatives?:confused:

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    Firstly, if you're going to buy the MV450i, don't buy it for 795, buy it for £650 @ http://www.krishAV.co.uk
    I have the Panasonic NV-MX7 which is basically the same as MX5 but with DV in and analogue in. The DV-in is important if you want to edit things on your PC and send them back to DV tape. Without DV in, you could only capture to your PC, edit, and then say...export to VHS maybe. DV-in can be enabled on the NVMX5, no doubt, but Analogue-in cannot be enabled. This allows you to get things from say, a VCR, onto your DV tape (If your VCR had composite outputs).
    I looked at the MV450i in Dixons, and I didn't think much of it. I got bored of it after a few seconds and I wasn't very impressed with the zoom. But if you plan to edit on your PC, this is probably the cheapest way, as you get free DV capture card and software too.
    The NVMX7 gives a great picture and there's lots of special effects etc. Plus the zoom is super fast.
    You don't get any software or connections though to get still photographs transferred to your PC. You have to buy a seperate SD card reader, and an SD card (As they only supply you with a Multimedia Card).
    The still photo quality is not that good at all though. If you are serious about stills, you should really get a seperate still camera. You would get much better results.
    :)
    HTH

3. colinrbarrett

colinrbarrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely go for the Canon 450i. There's nothing inherently wrong with the Panasonic, it's just that the Canon is very good indeed - especially if you can screw a good deal!

- Colin

4. cunningham

cunningham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help eddddd and colin. I have managed to find a panasonic mvx5b at £749 from www.krishav.co.uk thanks to eddddd.This will hopefully give me the best of both worlds.