1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon Mv450i or MVX1i ??

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by scoot65, Jan 8, 2002.

1. scoot65

scoot65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at buying my first camcorder. The choice I'm looking at is between Canon's MV450i anf MVX1i. It will be for general home use. Putting the two cams' specs together it seems they are very similar apart from MVX1i's still image capture, internal flash and optical stabilasation. I have a digital camera, therefore do not need the still image capture. Is optiacl stabilisation a huge benefit (worth the extra cash), over digital, or for a first time user is the MV450i OK. I don't want to over-spend if the benefits are not huge to my needs. Your assistance is much appreciated.

2. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Scoot,

I've been thinking about getting a Canon DV Camcorder recently (as a first camcorder), and I originally considered the 450i. Like you, I've already got a digital camera, so the stills features aren't a requirement. After looking at all the specs on the Canon web site, and a couple of reviews, I came to the conclusion that all the 400s are essentially the same under the covers, and I wouldn't use the extra features of the 450i (DVin, extended record, stills, memory card)

I've decided that I would be better off buying the 400 (without the i) and then buying a DV-in enabler for £40. Total cost = 469+40 = £509.

... which brings the cost to half that of the MVX1i, which is quite a considerable difference. Admitedly, the 1i does look more impressive though, and does have the optical stabilisation, but I'm not convinced that it's worth the extra money.

Whichever you buy, be sure to let us know how you get on with it!

Nigel.