1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon LV 7525 projector help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by brock_landers, May 14, 2003.

1. brock_landers

brock_landers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need your esteemed advice on the purchase of a second hand Canon LV 7525 projector. Does anyone have any idea of specs etc? I cannot find any product details having searched the usual places.

The price I have been offered it for is £1000 including a pull down screen which I also have no idea about.

Apparently it has 2 dead pixels from new, is this something to worry about? I can have an extensive demo of it before buying as the person has a CRT setup in a dedicated HC room. What should I look for?

Please help...........

Brock.

2. brock_landers

brock_landers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_details.cfm?part_id=863

Looks like it's very much a presentation projector first and a video projectors second.

2750 lumens :eek: that'll melt your eyes in a darkened room ;)

Rather dodgy 350:1 contrast ratio :) The current crop of home cinema models are in the 700-1000:1 range.

If you demo it there are several things you should look at:

Black levels, very bright and a poor contrast ratio is going to mean the blacks are very grey.
    Colour uniformity, is a white image uniformly white etc.
    Brightness, is it going to be too bright in the enviroment it's going to be used on.
    Noise, all that heat and light comes at a price.
    Lamp hours, PJ Central say 2000hrs, how easy is it to get replacements on such an old model?

If this is for primarily home cinema use you really want to check out some of the latest models Z1/AE200/AE300 that can be had new for a couple of hundred quid more. They are likely to be far more appropriate.

-- Jon

4. brock_landers

brock_landers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the swift reply Jon,

Do you think that the AE100 would give better results used in a living room environment? I am estimating the throw to be about 16 feet. Is the AE100 the same resolution?

Considering that I can buy Panasonic products at less than trade price, would the AE300 give me still further gains? Or would this be regarded as overkill?

Cheers, Brock.

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    As Gothmog said, this is a presentation projector that is incredibly bright for home use. I wouldn't worry too much about the contrast ratio though since having just a single low power light on in a darkened room will knock several hundred contrast points of the latest uber-contrast models.

The Canon is a clone of one of the Sanyo projectors at a similar brightness. It will definately be better than an AE100 - the picture is higher resolution and will have less picture noise that the Pana. I think an AE300 would be a better bet though. Quieter, slightly higher resolution, designed for video, cooler running, new and with warranty.

Regards

6. brock_landers

brock_landers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much Chris, am going to price an AE300 tomorrow.

Cheers, Brock.