Canon Ixus owners - happy ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by HMHB, Apr 20, 2004.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,139
    I'm looking for a pocketable digital camera for my summer hols in Portugal and was looking at maybe the Ixus 500. This looks small and neat.
    A couple of questions:-
    1) how long does the battery last bearing in mind that I may not have access to recharging facilities for a few days.
    2) does the lack of shooting modes get annoying ? I believe it's mainly a point and shoot camera with no landscape/sports type settings.
    3) with it being so small are the buttons fiddly to use ?

Cheers

2. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've got the Ixus 400 and love it. The battery is not too bad - though I bought a spare one with the camera. One battery was enough for a long weekend in Barcelona ealier this year.

Assuming that the 500 is the same as the 400, it is a little more than simple P&S. It does have a landscape (infinity lock) setting. It also has seperate AE and AF lock, which add a great deal of versatility. Also has 3 different metering modes - evaluative, CW and spot. For a compact, it is really quite a flexible little devil. If you need more control, try the S50 - a friend has one and is very please with it - though it is a little more bulky.

I don't find them too bad, though you obviously pay the price for such a compact camera to some degree. Often it's just zoom and click, and these I find just fine.

HTH,

_

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,139
    I looked at a review and didn't notice the infinity mode and AE lock etc :blush:
    I think for the size of the thing it probably can't be beaten. If I want to do more creative stuff at a later date I will have to buy another bigger camera. For a holiday trip though, I think this will be ideal - after all much alcohol will be consumed and you don't need to be messing about with a sofisticated in that state do you!!)
    Good idea to get a spare battery too. Thanks

4. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I don't own an Ixus but I have used the Ixus 400 which I think is very similar to the 500.

I borrowed this camera from a friend which I took on Honeymoon along with my Canon 10D as I wanted to take some underwater shots with an underwater housing and wanted something I could just slip in my pocket as I didnt want to lug around the 10D all the time.

Although I am used to the power, quality and flexibility of a DSLR I was very impressed with the Ixus.

I have to say that I did find the controls a little fiddly and not something that I would want to use everyday, at least not in the same way that I use my DSLR (shooting 300 shots a day) but for a camera that fits very comfortably in your pocket this has to be expected.

Picture quality was good but obvioulsy cannot compare to a DSLR. This isn't due to the resolution so much but to the quality of the lens and physical size of the sensor. I found that the pictures could look a little 'flat' not so much in colour but in sharpness and definition however this was comparable with any other digicam that I have ever used.

On the whole I was very impressed with the usability of it but did find that the battery life wasn't that great but then any camera that relies on powering a LCD screen whenever the camera is switched on will suffer from this to some extent so I would buy a 2nd battery for it, if not a 3rd if you intend to take lots of photos each day.

From how you have described your needs I would think that the Ixus 500 would be perfect for you and I'm sure you would not be dissapointed with it.

Good Luck and have fun with it.

5. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hi JohnG, sorry for hijacking your thread but I've just bought a Casio camera from these forums and will be selling my Ixus 330 soon. Might you be interested? It's in as-new condition and I have the original box, software, cables etc.
    Cheers,
    Oddbodd.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,139
    I actually took the plunge yesterday tea time and purchased an Ixus 500.

7. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hi John, no problem mate. Have fun with your new toy :D
    Cheers,
    John.

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,139
    It's arrived today so will have a good play with it.
    What settings do people normally use for picture quality ?

A slightly embarrasing thicko question here :blush: Anyone know how I attach the wrist strap ?

9. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Dunno but probably a case of put the bit of the strap that has a loop through the part of the camera that has a mini bar and then put the other end of the strap through the loop in the strap and pull.

Blimey did any of that make any sense whatsoever!?!?!? lol

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,139
    Actually yes it did make sense - that is what I've done but it all seems so low-tech to me !

11. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi JohnG...

Now you've had a chance to play with it for a few weeks, just wondering what your thoughts on the Ixus 500 are ?

I'm torn between the 400 and 500. There's a £100 price difference, and although the 400 is more than adequate for my needs, the 500 keeps tempting me.

12. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The question is do you need 5MP? My understanding is that the sensor size is the same so there is a good chance that the 500 will suffer more noise than the 400. If you need the resolution, that may be a price worth paying. If not, save the £100 and have lower noise photos with plenty of resolution for what you need.

_

13. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I hear what you're saying, and I know you're spot-on. :)

Would I be right in thinking that unless I'm looking to print pictures at A4 size and bigger, then I wouldn't see any difference between 4Meg and 5Meg ?

I'm new to all this, and basically I'm just looking for a sexy little beast to take some quality snap-shots (...maybe I'll get "into" this photography malarkey along the way !)

My head tells me to get the 400 and spend the difference on more storage, an extra battery and a case.... but it's nagging away at me that bigger is better when it comes to Megs.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,139
    I think you are right there. I bought the 500 as it has a higher resolution movie mode and I think it also has a faster continuous shooting mode. But if none of those things matter to you I would go for the cheaper one and spend the rest of your cash on some CF cards. I think the latest 4MP model also has the Pictbridge (direct printing to some printers) ability.
    Whichever you pick I think you'll be amazed at just how pocketable these cameras are - absolutely amazing.

15. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I doubt most people use direct printing. I doubt most people print their own pictures once they realise how much it costs to print. I've had my ixus for about 9 months. I've printed 3 pictures.

16. applebwl

applebwl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Firmware upgrade is on the Canon site for Ixus 400 to enable direct print .

Changed mine from ver 1.0.0.0 to 2.0.0.0