canon ixus .mov video problem

rikismyname1983

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a canon ixus 110.
the video records with .mov files.
the videos play fine on the camera, and even if i upload to facebook they are fine, but they wont play properly on both my pc and laptop.

Basically if i try to play a video it takes a long time to load up windows media player,quicktime,nero player etc. then it's all out of sync and it doesn't play as a video.. it's more like a slideshow with the occasional 2-3 of video.

Very glitchy and very annoying.

does anyone know what is wrong and what i can do?

im using both xp and windows 7 on the laptop.
Cheers, Rik

Download VLC player then it should work.
If its still slow maybe the laptop is not up to playing HD Video so change this to SD on the setting on the camera.

Hi, i just tried vlc player and it's worse with that. audio is fine but really jittery and unwatchable.
i just tried using a different sd card and also put the video down to 640 instead of 1280 and still it doesn't run smooth?:confused:

Really annoying as my girlfriend wants a camera for xmas and i don't wanna get her one that records mov video files and it's a nightmare and still cant sort it out.
any other ideas as to why this is happening on both a new hp laptop on windows 7 and a pretty good spec packard bell pc on windows xp ?
could it be the actuall camera?

where could i get a mov file to download and see if it plays on my laptop? because if that works then it must be my ixus 110:thumbsdow

where could i get a mov file to download and see if it plays on my laptop? because if that works then it must be my ixus 110:thumbsdow

*.mov is just a container, the actual codec used can be very different between *.mov files. Looking at the Canon specs specifically the Ixus 110 encodes its videos using h264 and linear PCM for audio. So for example Panasonic mov's are no good because they use m-jpeg for their mov files, you can get a Canon S95 video file here which should be using the same codec:

Canon PowerShot S95 Review | Digital Camera Resource Page

(scroll down a bit to the video section)

I'm surprised you're having trouble playing the files as I've had no issues with the files from a Canon Ixus 100IS (same format as far as I can tell) and VLC on older Core 2 Duo hardware at around 2Ghz.

John

Only other thing I can think of is maybe try upgrading your graphics driver for your laptop?

Is that possible, given that they are often hardwired to the MB?

Yes as he said driver (software) rather than a hardware upgrade, I guess there may be issues with hardware decode acceleration which may be resolved with a driver update but even an older processor and bog standard Intel onboard graphics should be able to play these videos smoothly.

John

Yep an updated driver... ;)
Ha The penny drops!:blush:

ok, so what driver needs updating and how would one go about this?

The graphic card your laptop uses may have updated drivers.. easy to check on the relevant manufactures website
It may also be corrupt and current version just need reinstalling

cheers, will look tomorrow for drivers and see if that helps.
do you mean look on HP website for these drivers?

cheers, will look tomorrow for drivers and see if that helps.
do you mean look on HP website for these drivers?

Yes .. might have update drivers for that models video card
Even if not worth reinstalling anyway

Post details of the laptop model info. - full model number from the little plate usually on the underside of the laptop :) or go to Control Panel>Device Manager>Display Adapters and see what the video chipset is.... and we can point you to the latest driver set...

JIm

Post details of the laptop model info. - full model number from the little plate usually on the underside of the laptop :) or go to Control Panel>Device Manager>Display Adapters and see what the video chipset is.... and we can point you to the latest driver set...

JIm

it says intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom