Canon IXUS 60 vs Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T10

MortimerJazz

Standard Member
I've been wanting to get a decent digital camera for under £200 for a while now and have narrowed my choice down to these two:

Canon IXUS 60

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T10

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this. The Sony is around £25 more expensive, but shoots at 7.2MP, which is more than the Canon. Although the Canon does seem to be more user friendly.

It would be mainly used for point and shoot type pictures. Friends, parties etc. etc.

MortimerJazz

Standard Member
Hi horrible - thanks for the reply.

They both offer 3X Digital Zoom although the Sony also has 2X Precision Digital Zoom.

They're also both a little under £200 with the Canon available for £145 and the Sony a bit more expensive at £169

senu

Distinguished Member
The Canon is the less stylish but much better camera ( and less costly) of the 2

The Image quality is broadly similar but the Canons images are far better in low light

The Sony is a compact "lifestyle" model where form over function leaves it a little less of a camera than the Canon. You would be paying a bit more for Sonys "name" and miniaturisation.. not better image capturing

7Mp ( or even 8Mp) is really nothing significant over 6Mp ( especially if the 6Mp images are that much cleaner.
Bigger file sizes with no more detail are nothing to fuss over.

As an aside, I have an 6 year old nice and sharp A4 picture from a 2Mp Olympus taken at my daughters birth 6 years ago;)

I would give the Canon serious consideration
HTH

Jackboy

Standard Member
I have just bought the Canon for £148 from Asda.

I am very impressed by it, I also have a Panasonic FZ5 which obviously is far superior on zoom but the canon is so fast its a joy to use. One of the issues I have with digital cameras in the delay, its very hard to photograph young children with any delay..........I have missed very few shots with the Canon.
:smashin:

petrolhead

The Ixus is very good, I have one but hardly use it so may be selling very soon

devastator

I have just bought the Canon for £148 from Asda.

I am very impressed by it, I also have a Panasonic FZ5 which obviously is far superior on zoom but the canon is so fast its a joy to use. One of the issues I have with digital cameras in the delay, its very hard to photograph young children with any delay..........I have missed very few shots with the Canon.
:smashin:

Could youself or anyone else confirm that the Canon Ixus 60 is available to buy in Asda for £148 ??

123orth

Standard Member
i know its probably older unit but i have seen sony t9 for 100£, it might reflect value for money

GR4VES_X

Standard Member
Just bought the canon ixus 60, having bought (and then returned) a sony dscw50 (very poor screen IMO). It came bundled with a canon cp510 photo printer from currys for 150.. well pleased with it.

I'd had a canon ixus IIs for years and just wanted a bigger screen (and obviously more megapixels), maybe I'm biased towards canons, but I found that sony very dissapointing ....

I have a dsc-w17 this is a sample of some of my recent images its almost 2 years old now:

For me the DSC-T10 is a strange member of the dsc group. I would have the canon as they do preform that little bit better indoors.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom