1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon Ixus 40 software (need help)

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by ferdz, Jun 30, 2005.

1. ferdz

ferdz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a canon ixus 40 second hand and got it cheap as it didn't come with the software or usb cable. The usb I can get a replacement but I was just wondering if anyone can help me out on what software I need. Which is the most essential and does anyone know where I could get it? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You dont need any software to get your photos to your PC, just a usb cable or card reader. If you want to alter your photos or improve them, then photoshop elements is what you want to look for.

But for now all's you need is a usb cable

3. ferdz

ferdz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Seany.

To be honest does anyone that is just a happy snapper do any photo editing. The only thing I think I may need is the photostitch I have heard about. So from the usb i can just save the pics to my images?

4. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,580
    You can download the software that would have originally come with the camera (except Elements) here.

5. ferdz

ferdz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks crocodile, I did actual stumble across that site before but I thought you need the original zoombrowser as the one on the page is an update. I'm going to download it and have a look anyway. Any more ideas on what software I need?
    Do I need the drivers do you know?

6. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,580
    You probably won't need the drivers if your happy for the camera to just appear as a removeable storage device under windows, but the drivers will allow it to fully integrate with XP (assuming that's what you have). I'd recommend installing them.

Once you have images transferred to the PC just right click an image & select preview. This will allow you to view the images or run a slideshow at full screen. You can also open an image from here in MS Photo Editor - basic but a start.

The Zoom Browser software on Canon's site is full version, not just an update but I've never used it. Probably only necessary if you don't have XP.

Oh, & for your first "play" make a backup copy of any images you want to keep before experimenting.

7. ferdz

ferdz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the advice. I seemed to have a problem opening it once I had downloaded it. However, I managed to download Adobe Photo which looked like it had all the neccessary features. Do you know if I should still try to get a copy of the zoombrowser ex if I have this or is the Adobe photo sufficient enough?

8. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,580
    I don't use either so can't really comment. General advice would be stick with one product until you find you need something else. Perhaps someone with direct experience of the two can add to this?