Canon IXUS 130IS or Sony Cybershot W350???

suciosucio5

Novice Member
Hello. Just bought the Canon IXUS 130 in replacement of my 90IS which i replaced because i wanted a camera that was slimmer and has the HD movie recording ability.

I have looked into the Sony W350 before and the only reason i bought the Canon is because i prefer the brand overall in photography and liked the feel of this one more than the Sony (not to say the Sony was bad, just the Canon felt more robust and of better quality) Also the fact i had a good experience with Canon with my last camera.

Now im having second thoughts...

The Sony W350 is about £15 cheaper and has near enough the same specification, 4x optical zoom, 14 megapixels, HD movie, slim, etc.

Now, i have read into some reviews saying the Canon does not have auto focus when zooming in on it's HD video mode and that the Sony does, also that the sony takes sharper photos, but with more noise at times and not as good with colour reproduction as apposed the Canon.

Can anyone give me some advice?? I have 28 days to exchange it with no quibbles. Shall i stick with Canon IXUS 130, or is the Sony W350 a better buy?

Any other suggestions for cameras would be apprericated too (up to the value of £150)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

weetsie

Novice Member
you said yourself its close, as is the price.

for me focusing while zooming would be useful and i would take sharper but noiser images every time.

from what you have said id proberbly take the sony.

suciosucio5

Novice Member
Thanks for your input Weetsie. :)

Just one thought though.. The Sony W350 takes a proprietary HD cable, and its not cheap, At least £40! :O

The one supplied with the camera is only a standard av cable, although i won't be connecting it to my tv much, i would still like to have that option and a £5.99 mini HDMI to HDMI seems a much better option on the Canon, than a £40+ hd cable for the Sony.

That may sway it for me.

Anyone got any other camera suggestions or advice? :lease:

Last edited:

shotokan101

Suspended
Thanks for your input Weetsie. :)

Just one thought though.. The Sony W350 takes a proprietary HD cable, and its not cheap, At least £40! :O

The one supplied with the camera is only a standard av cable, although i won't be connecting it to my tv much, i would still like to have that option and a £5.99 mini HDMI to HDMI seems a much better option on the Canon, than a £40+ hd cable for the Sony.

That may sway it for me.

Anyone got any other camera suggestions or advice? :lease:

Have a look at the Samsung WB610 on the Jessops website - quite a good price at the moment - basically a Jessops "version" of the nice WB600

Jim

suciosucio5

Novice Member
Have a look at the Samsung WB610 on the Jessops website - quite a good price at the moment - basically a Jessops "version" of the nice WB600

Jim

Thanks but it's a little bit over my budget, also i'm not really keen on Samsung cameras.

Last edited:

shotokan101

Suspended
Thanks but it's a little bit over my budget, also i'm not really keen on samsung cameras.

Don't forget there are discount codes often available for Jessops and if you reserve/collect online or just purchase online you will get a 4.04% cashback - but if you don't like samsung then hey ho :D

JIm

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom