Canon HV20 - Where from?

Monopot

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations of where I can get a Canon HV20 soon for a good price? Also does anyone know if it comes with a HDMI cable and if not, is it a normal HDMI cable or a Mini one?

Thx!

They are in short supply at the moment - all the shops I tried were out of stock.

I did manage to find one at askdirect.co.uk which arrived yesterday, but they did tell me it was the last one!

I think for a pukka UK model around £700 is the going rate. I paid £719 cos I couldnt wait for other places to come back in stock.

As for HDMI, nope it doesnt come with one annoyingly. It does come with a component cable though if your TV has those inputs.

Dam! Do you know if its a standard HDMI connection on the camera or is it one of this mini HDMI connections?

err runs off to check manual...

Manual states HDMI type A connector (19 pins).

The only thing about pixmania i was worried about was its not a UK model, and will come with a 2 pin plus and adaptor. Probably not a biggie, but it was enough to put me off.

Any recommendations of where I can get a Canon HV20 soon for a good price? Also does anyone know if it comes with a HDMI cable and if not, is it a normal HDMI cable or a Mini one?

Thx!

Got mine from amazon, but went faulty.
(It developed either a completly red screen or a times a red negative sceen effect on both LCD & view finder.)
Would be interested if anyone had the same problem !

Anyway just recieved brand new replacement today.
Amazon seems to have an excellent returns service, no problem what so ever.
So I would recommend purchasing from them.

It doesn't come with an HDMI cable, but it does take the regular full size connection.
Componant is from a mini connection on the camera to regular phono.

rlt

I ALWAYS buy European models from Pixmania-pro or from Computeruniverse. Their staff are excellent, speak English, have better prices and even their delievery charges are lower than those from many UK companies.

I have never had any problems at all; I get a two year European warranty with no hassle; one that UK companies are obliged to offer under European law but seldom do without lots of argy-bargy.

So, it comes with a Euro plug? But it's always a figure of eight to Euro, and a figure of eight to UK plug costs maybe 50p, and I'll bet you already have loads of them around the house.

Go on, be brave.

Got mine from amazon, but went faulty.
(It developed either a completly red screen or a times a red negative sceen effect on both LCD & view finder.)
Would be interested if anyone had the same problem !

Anyway just recieved brand new replacement today.
Amazon seems to have an excellent returns service, no problem what so ever.
So I would recommend purchasing from them.

It doesn't come with an HDMI cable, but it does take the regular full size connection.
Componant is from a mini connection on the camera to regular phono.

rlt

I didnt have your problem but had a "dead" firewire port, I kept trying different connecting leads and cardbus but to no avail.
I contacted Amazon, I bought the HV20 in June 2007, they had the faulty cam picked up the next day and ordered replacement which will arrive tomorrow. HD Video from the cam is amazing, I would highly recommend and agree with you re Amazon, their returns service was great

Amazon are out of stock now, expected next stock is 1-3 months!!!

Pixmania is the only place I can find but am a bit concerned as does it really come with a euro plug so I'll have to go and buy a UK adapter? Bit crap isn't it?

When I have bought from Pixmania they have always included an adapter plug. Even if they don't they can be purchased cheaply.

The UK adapter you speak of is a figure of eight to UK plug. If they cost more than 50p I'd be surprised and if you haven't got several around the house already I'd be very surprised.

The HV20 from anywhere in Europe is PAL and exactly the same as the UK model, only generally somewhat cheaper.

Just ordered one from Pixmania. £696 inc delivery as found a £20 off code to use.

Any recommendations for some DV tapes and a bag?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I picked a HK PAL version up in Hong Kong (it seems only the Broadway chain of stores had them over here) for about GBP630. Not the saving I had expected but I needed it for my holiday so got it anyway.:D It is exactly the same as the other PAL specs and all in English.

Also made a visit to Tokyo last week and they had the Jpn version (all Jpn text) for approx GBP450 :eek: Lots of lovely live demos in the stores over there with SD vs HD camcorder shots side by side. I've shot about 5 hours worth of footage over here at the moment and won't be able to view the results until I get back into the UK. Bugger.:rotfl:

Cool! Got myself a BP-2L14 battery, carry case and DV tape in a Canon Starter Pack from eBay for £30 delivered!

BONUS!

Ordered mine from Equipment Express for £649.99... including free case and tape! UK model and free delivery.
None in stock at present, but expected imminently. Very good customer service.

Also, bought 2 long-life batteries (BP-2L14 7,4V 1500mAh Li-Ion ) for the HV20 from HERE for £31.05 inc. delivery!!!

hi guys, i'm looking to get this camcorder, need to ask would a HDMI/NTSC JAPANESE IMPORT MODEL work on UK LCD HDTV ? would there be any playback issues if so?

It will work fine ona HTDV. You'll only have issues using it in Std Def mode with an ordinary PAL TV.

The Japanese version is certainly far far cheaper. Only things to consider are the possibility that the menus are in Japanese (the external writing on the camera certainly is) and the 110v charger you'll get.

Got mine today after ordering Monday from PixMania. Got it for £690 delivered after Quidco cashback. Also picked up a case/battery for £30 on eBay and 10 Sony Premium MiniDV from Amazon.

First impressions are its a nice bit of kit. Done a quick 5 min film round the house and plugged in via HDMI to my Toshiba 37WLT68 and the picture was very clear. Couldn't hear the motor noise although sound was a little echo'y. Build quality seems fine, can't see where the problem is from that people always seem to mention it.

Overall, very happy!

The Japanese version is certainly far far cheaper. Only things to consider are the possibility that the menus are in Japanese (the external writing on the camera certainly is) and the 110v charger you'll get.

Chargers/power supplies are generally not an issue, as they usually cover the range of world voltages. It will have a Japanese plug but that is easily dealt with.

hi guys, i'm looking to get this camcorder, need to ask would a HDMI/NTSC JAPANESE IMPORT MODEL work on UK LCD HDTV ? would there be any playback issues if so?

Hi, a friend has offered to pick up an HV20 for me in USA next week. The price there is £350-£400. :)

Other than having the wrong plug un the charger I'm wondering if there are any other issues I need to be aware of? Do all international variants allow PAL or NTSC capture?

I'll be editing my footage on a pc (using XP) and viewing through HDMI/component inputs to a PLV-Z4 720P 5-/60Hz projector and 1080P monitor so would I not notice any difference between NTSC and PAL models?

Would NTSC generate bigger files due to higher frame rate ir would it use higher compresion to get the same tape capacity?

Is it just the SD analogue output that varies between continents?

I think I may be asking the same question several times here :confused:

A US HV20 will be NTSC/60hz.

In HD mode, the resolution is the same, it's just it will be 60i vs. 50i.
The progressive mode will be 24p instead of 25p. It will play fine on your projector and monitor.

The file sizes will be approximately the same.. so yes, the NTSC model will have more compression due to the extra frames. But the extra frames sort of offset it, so the overall temporal compression is sort of the same.

In SD mode (using analogue or digital output), it will be NTSC resolution which is different from PAL. So you probably won't be able to connect it to a friends PAL SDTV. (Well you can, but the picture will be in black and white and poor...)

as an animal lover the way the japanese are behaving makes me hang my head in shame

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom