Canon HG20 - HD 60GB HDD / DSHC Camcorder £399

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by SSB, Jun 13, 2009.

1. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Carrying over discussion from the Panny thread.

Link to Product on WilkinsonCameras page

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  2. jdevil

jdevil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,422
    Wanna buy this hopefully it doesn't run out of stock until the weekend.

I want to find a few M2TS samples so I could check it on my PS3 how the quality looks like, found a few sample for the Sony 40gb 1080p HD cam and was very impressed.

Has anybody bought this?

3. MarkNorton1

MarkNorton1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Thanks for that , was a little worried that i was taking over the whole panny thread!!

Mine should arrive on Monday all going well, just wouldnt mind any suggestions on a decent case/bag for it as well as advice on buying a second battery?

4. MarkNorton1

MarkNorton1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Thanks TallPaul, will take a look at those cases, i seem to remember passing them somewhere on my hunt, just need to make sure i order from somewhere that has them in stock and can get it to me within 5 working days, not a tall order you wouldnt have thought!?

5. TallPaul

TallPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Also, I totally failed to mention Crumpler, they are the funky option and also built to last. Check out the pretty boy XXL (they all have stupid names FYI).

If you want to order online try Warehouse Express, but to be honest for a bag you really want to see it in my experience. Lots places carry bags, even Jessops, might be worth a look if you can get to the shops this week, worst case at least you could order online later.

SSB thanks for asking, with a bit of luck then Mark and I should get ours tomorrow. Hows your HF100 working out?

I have been eyeing up the long range battery (as the supplied one lasts 55mins apparently) and the wide angle lens, but both options are super expensive, have a play with the camera first I think.

Oh, there is no HDMI cable in the box according to the Canon website, I ordered a mini-hdmi to HDMI cable from www.ebuyer.com, the 2m cable was only £4.33, looks like they are sold out though, they have the longer cables still:

3m @ £6.99
    5m @ £5.62

Oh total :eek::suicide: I just realised I ordered a 2m mini hdmi to mini-hdmi cable, ****, that's no good! (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/158991) what a muppet :suicide: The picture shows the right cable, but the description is wrong, hmm....

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  6. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    No problem at all - I was passing anyway, so it satisfied my natural curiosity if nothing else ;)

Enjoying the HF100 - it hasn't been tested heavily yet, but the images even in pretty shonky conditions (our old house is pretty dark) are very good. Software is a bit on the lean side ... I uninstalled all the zoombrowser stuff after installing it and have hardly used the ImageMixer one.

You might want to check this out. I was determined to be able to use WMP and WME9 to play and re-encode video for emailing / uploading and this enabled me to do it.

7. MarkNorton1

MarkNorton1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Well my HG20 arrived this morning at work first thing, well pleased!

Just got to get throough the next 8 hours or so before i can have a play!!

8. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I'm guessing you can at least charge it up at work ... ;)

9. chentong

chentong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it brand new and in it's original packaging? Apparently some users complained about the packaging and condition of their products.

Thanks

10. A n d r e w

A n d r e w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Can you be more specific? "Users" of which company? There haven't been any complaints on this forum, as far as I'm aware.

NOTE TO SENU: Any chance we can correct "DSHC" to "SDHC" in the subject header of this thread, Senu? :D

11. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    But then how will the dyslexic searchers find it?

12. chentong

chentong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wilkinson www.wilkinson.co.uk Review in Online Camera Shops at Review Centre

Good Points: good price and quick delivery
    Bad Points: Poor customer service, didn't receive a ring back, never resolved the issue.
    General comments: I ordered a Canon 40d body. They sent it in as white non original box. I sent off for Canons cashback but it was refused as it didn't have an original barcode. When I asked Wilkinsons Cameras, they said they had included a cut out barcode, but I couldn't find this in the box. They could not send me another, costing me £100.00
    sidwemn's review and ratings
    | 80 words

13. TallPaul

TallPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    No delivery here yet... but had it sent to home as I am home today with our 13 day old daughter (hence camcorder) so couriers usually come later in the day to the house than to the office I find.

Ref other comments, it better be new and unopened or its going back!

14. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Still waiting on mine, i bought the sd20 from QVC so only got a few more days before im within the 30 days to return. I ordered mine from wilkinson camera on thursday 13.30 and was hoping they would send it to me on friday since their cut off date time is 12pm. No reply from either emails.

15. TallPaul

TallPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yeah I sent them an email last Thursday after I spoke to them asking how much for Saturday delivery and got no reply.

I think they are more of a ring them up kinda shop.

They don't seem to update their system with tracking number or send out an email either, did you get an email or tracking number Mark or just a camera via fedex?!

16. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Well just called them they said it was posted out on Friday so should get it today ! :clap: lets wait and see

17. markie

markie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Well I ordered Friday and have not had any emails concerning dispatch either. Did phone them today to make sure they had got my order. Was told someone would phone me back after they'd checked within the next 15 minutes. That was earlier today !:mad::mad: Should I be surprised? No, because virtually every other company is the same nowadays with regard to inefficient / non-existant customer service. :mad::mad: Now, I've got that off my chest, I feel a little better :)

18. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    I have received mine yay, im at work so will check it out when i get home

19. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    When did you order yours? If it was after 12pm Friday they will send it out today and if you chose next day delivery you will get it tomorrow.

20. markie

markie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Glad yours turned up !

It was after 12 on Friday, so was not expecting it today at all, just wanted to know whether they had got the order, as had isssue with credit card going through (it did eventually). Just bad service, when you phone, get promised you will be phoned back and never do ! The problem is, it happens nearly all the time and it drives me mad continually chasing up stuff !!

I had to pay £10 delivery, I take it that is next day? Did it come in the original box, etc?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  21. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    My credit card didnt go through first time it said failed !! I paid 10.00 for next day delivery (I think 9.00 was standard so paid the extra quid). Not sure what box it turned up in. I get home around 7:30ish so will have a look and post back. As long as you got the confirmation email they would have got your email. I didnt get a dispatch email or anything after that.

22. TallPaul

TallPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well no camera delivery for me. Seems further to the initial mistake made last Thursday that meant my order did not ship for Friday, there has been another issue.

Waiting for their update before I comment further.

EDIT: Also it seems HG20 gone from their website now? Did avforums flood them with orders?!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  23. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Seems like it has gone. I checked at 4:30ish and it was still there. Maybe no more stock now. people who had confirmation emails may well get theirs, but you never know. Maybe there website isnt live on orders so maybe accepted more orders than stock they have left.

24. MarkNorton1

MarkNorton1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Mine was delivered via fedex and was original box, no damage and is so far charging fine, not switched it on yet, bit busy working on my speech for my wedding on Saturday!

But all seems well, it turns out that they delivered 2 to me as well, reception only gave me one, the other got mixed up with a lyrical delivery, they rang this afternoon saying that 2 had been signed for! Found it, thought best to own up to it since there were 2 separate delivery numbers, they'll be collecting it in the next day or so i guess!

25. TallPaul

TallPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well, I had a call back the first time but was kind of expecting them to call again tonight, guess will have to wait for tomorrow now, can't say I am that impressed to be honest with them. Would have perhaps been better to call each store, find one with boxed stock and order direct over the phone.

In any case be interested to see what other people get, 8 stores with 10 left in stock at the weekend, makes me think at least some were display models?

Not really interested in display model, would rather buy a HDC-SD20 Panasonic from QVC or Argos, or find a better deal on the Sony HDR-CX105E. Or possibly even pay more for a HG20 somewhere else, have read a lot of the manuals seems a great camera and I was keen on the 24mpbs recording rate and the fact it has a mic input.

More tomorrow I am sure, come on Wilkinson sort it out :lease:

26. markie

markie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    That 'extra one' that they sent you must have been TaulPaul's then, since he didn't get his ! Glad it came complete. Am not sure whether I'll get mine or not, now they've removed it from their site - will have to wait and see.

27. MarkNorton1

MarkNorton1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    It could have been Tallpaul's? You never know, well if it was, it was boxed as new, unfortunatly i couldnt resist opening it up but i didnt remove anything and it was all complete and sealed original from there supplier so if you end up with it dont be alarmed at the opened box and appolagies in advance if this ends up being the case.

Oh, would you like me to start charging it for you in the mean time? :smashin:

28. markie

markie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Just checked my online statement and they have debited the money from my account, so maybe its coming?

29. TallPaul

TallPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It most likely is the one they were going to send to me, based on what they said about a mistake in shipment to the wrong person.

Please keep the box closed to keep in the new smell in case it is on its way to me :smashin:;)

30. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    CHecked mine, it is brand new everything is new and sealed. Got mine on charge and cant wait. Like someone said, im just getting high of the just new smell :D