Canon HD video recorder - AVCHD - DVD?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by sacawil, Jul 27, 2012.

1. sacawil

sacawil
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I am having a major issue in doing anything with the videos I have taken on a Canon Legria HF R205.

I have managed to get the videos to play on my Windows 7 netbook after converting them to avi, but often the sound and picture are not in time.

My main problem is that I cannot find a video converter that will allow me to put the videos onto DVD, I imagine this is something to do with the videos being HD. I want them to play on a normal DVD player, I do have a HD TV but not a blu ray player.

Does anyone have *any* information on this whatsoever?

I have spoken to Canon who have told me to download a video editor with the following keywords:
    - avchd
    - mpeg4 // avc/h.264
    - audio: adobe digital 2 channel

I am having trouble finding anything, and would prefer it to be free if possible.

Thank you for any help, I am clueless and getting very annoyed!

2. vkmast

vkmast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    sacawil,
    for starters, you might try this
    LEGRIA HF R206
    Using [PIXELA VideoBrowser] supplied with the camcorder, create a DVD in standard definition (DVD-Video format)

3. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I got a second hand HF R16 just 2 days ago more as a " toy ( TBH) but it not bad at all cnsidering its very Pocket Frendly
    It didnt come with Pixela ( as it was Second
    hand )
    do I NEED pixela ?
    I have Sony Vegas Pro 10 and PinnacleStudio 15

4. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi Senu i dont understand why either of your softwares wont just convert the files automaticaly on the timeline and let you export to what medium you want .ie dvd avchd disc even tape,that how it works for me.All the best

5. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    chrishull3 I wonder what software you are using? The issue for OP was that he was after something for "free" (Post#1).
    Isn't amazing that a World-class company like Canon sells you a camera without giving the new user any insigt as to how to use it? (and I don't mean the "How to plug in the battery" routine. I mean how they are supposed to use their filmed scenes and prenst it to a TV /player combo?

6. M Stewart

M Stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Seems a bit hard on Canon - the instruction manual for my Canon HD camcorder is quite clear on how to connect it to the TV. (HDMI cable, and specific settings in the Menu). BUT, I think I had to view the Manual using the pdf file on the supplied CD. The paper instructions really were very basic.

7. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Well i read it as free if possible,but spending a few pounds on some software is a must IMO for any decent results .At present i am using Coral pro x,i also have 3 piinacle,[strangely 12 works best on my set up]also edius and windows which i have never used much.

8. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    So are we understanding that the issue isn't Canon, rather the Buyer didn't printout the 200 pages of .pdf
    - ?
    Interestingly I've finished with a "trial" of Coral X5 but couldn't fathom it out. I was 2/3 way through the trial before I found how to get imported clips onto the timeline - what's with all those pictures on the media panel? They aren't mine and mine were nowhere to see (as I say oit was a while before I discoverd they are at the bottom of the pile. The Timeline control appear to be unavailable until I discovered you have to resize it, then the "import button" appears.
    (mindyou I may have missed a few details in the enless struggle....and it's impossible to contact Coral - every move at their website is geared to "By By Buy" - at no time did I discover haow to ask basic Questions . . . so if you're happy with your software - don't upgrade, it may end in tears.
    I was using Vegas (treading carfully) in hours and that came with plenty of tutorials and no constant prods to By buy buy . . . . . ahem, but DVD Architect has stopped working so now I burn AVCHD discs, for really good quality.

9. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285

Pro X is not hard realy,right click on the start of the time line or where you are if you already have video on it,you will then be asked to choose where you you want to get the video from,lets say on an external drive,click on the footage you want and it will come up in the PRO X box,all the clips can be put on the timeline in the usual way Ctrl A or individual clips if preferred,audio and stills can be put on the timeline if wanted,and audio is done in the same way but to the audio time lines.