Canon G7X M II or Sony RX100 M III ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by redboy1, Apr 12, 2017.

1. redboy1

redboy1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    Im after a good small compact but just cant decide between these two. I have a Fuji X-S1 but because of its size i just dont use it and with a family holiday coming up i want something that will fit in the pocket but take nice pics and also have good video 1080p recording.

From doing some research the sony is supposed to have a bit better IQ with more options for video recording. Both have the same screen maneuverability with the canon having touch screen making for easy use.

Ive seen reviews saying the auto focus is better on the sony and others saying not as good. Really hard to decide with the two cameras being in the same price bracket.

2. rancidpunk

rancidpunk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,728
    You won't go far wrong with either of them, but you will obviously sacrifice a considerable amount of reach compared to your old fuji. If you hadn't considered that then the other obvious premium compact option is the Panasonic TZ100. Much further reach than either of the others, albeit at the expense of a smaller aperture.

Back to your original choice, it depends if you want the better battery life, viewfinder and extra video options of the Sony. The Canon does offer better reach (although not by much, but it can definitely make a difference) and the aperture stays wider for longer than the Sony as well, so will be slightly better in low light across most of it's focal range.

The other thing is to try and have a demo and see what feels better. Some of the features on compacts are hidden away in menus, and you may find one much easier to use than the other. I've got the mk 1 Sony and I find the menu a little fiddly to use, it's pretty much relegated to a drunken night out camera now, but don't have any experience of the canon myself.

3. redboy1

redboy1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    Thanks. You have got me thinking now with the TZ100. I need to list what i want from the camera really, so i reckon;

Better than smartphone pics with good video.

Needs to fit in my pocket or i will just take my smartphone on days out

Easy to use as im no pro photographer

180 flip screen sounds great for family pics

Fast focusing to keep up with the little one

good battery life.

When i think about it most of my pictures are on my smartphone so although the zoom on the TZ100 would be nice i do not think the smaller aperture is worth the sacrifice. Then again the video and stabilisation on the TZ100 look pretty impressive and its menus with touch screen look easy to use.

The canon seems to tick all the boxes with flip touch screen for easy use, small, decent video, little more reach than the sony and good ergonomics.

Then you have the sony which i cant believe does not have a touch screen but gives you a viewfinder, not so good ergonomics but IS the smallest out the lot and is supposed to have the best IQ.

For some reason the Canon does not seem to be in stock at a lot of places. Ive also seen reports of dust getting into the canons lens easily so with that im thinking the sony is going to be the winner for me.

4. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,711
    I've had both the RX100-3 and the G7x (mark I) and imo the Canon has better IQ and overall. I guess it depends what you expect but both fell below my expectations tbh. I knew I wasn't going to get DSLR quality but even so. Distortion/softness in the corners is bad, especially at wide angle and in this regards the G7x is worse, marginally. The viewfinder is far too small on the RX100 to use comfortably so I didn't really find this a huge bonus. Granted it may be of use for that very odd occasion but for the most part you'll just use the LCD. So overall I preferred the Canon. Colours were nicer, apart from at 24mm the IQ was better, I preferred the control wheels, and the extra 30mm was useful, far more useful than the viewfinder on the Sony imo. Obviously ymmv.

5. redboy1

redboy1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    Thanks for your experiences. Between the two i think i would prefer the canon but im quite shocked you thought the IQ was better than the sony. Ive seen a few comparisons and the sony seemed sharper when you zoomed in. Love the thought of the touch screen and the better ergonomics, also th extra reach but as of today the RX100 III has gone down to £499 and with my work discount ill get it less than that. So between the two i can get the sony £100 cheaper. At the end of the day they both seem to perform very similar but my wallet will feel a lot fuller with one option :)

6. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,711
    Might be down to sample variation. As I said the Sony was better at 24mm but for me the Canon was better elsewhere. I'm not keen on Sony greens either tbh.

7. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I have the original G7X and it's a great little camera. I've taken some great concert photos with it especially.

8. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,711
    Forgot to mention, fast focussing they aren't. OK for static, but for anything moving you have your work cut out ;)

9. spannersatcx

spannersatcx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    I have the G7X (Mk1) and think it is a very good pocket camera, easy to use, good pics, even the wife likes it! I too was thinking G7X or Sony at the time, Sony didn't fit well with me and also the lack of extra zoom.

Some pics (by the wife!)
    1. [​IMG]IMG_1437 by Mark Harris, on Flickr

2. [​IMG]IMG_1516 by Mark Harris, on Flickr

3. [​IMG]IMG_1435 by Mark Harris, on Flickr

4. [​IMG]IMG_1445 by Mark Harris, on Flickr

some by me

5. [​IMG]IMG_0819-2 by Mark Harris, on Flickr

6. [​IMG]IMG_0604-2 by Mark Harris, on Flickr

7. [​IMG]IMG_0835 by Mark Harris, on Flickr

8. [​IMG]IMG_0636 by Mark Harris, on Flickr

10. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,711
    Very nice Mark. Just goes to show in the right hands you can take moving subjects (to be fair I have myself) especially when DOF is large. Taking little ones at close quarters though is a different kettle of fish ;)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  11. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,711
    Few with the G7x
    [​IMG]IMG_1691 by TDG-77, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_1660 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Warning, selfie :laugh:
    [​IMG]IMG_1536 by TDG-77, on Flickr

And one with the Sony RX100-III. I don't know what I've done with the others that I took :confused:
    DSC00155.jpg

12. redboy1

redboy1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    Some great pics above with the G7X. I probably would go for the G7X II but seems i can get the RX100 III for below £450 its a no brainer. Looking forward to getting to learn the sony along with photography.

13. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,133
    I have the G7X (mk1) a Panasonic TZ100 and have had the Sony RX100 (mk 3.)

All three are good cameras. Personally, I prefer the G7X to the RX100 and that is why I sold the Sony. The main reasons for this preference are:
    Extra reach - I find the Sony's 70mm maximum zoom very limiting. I seem t otake a lot of portait shots of my family and for that the 70mm to 100mm range of the Canon G7x is ideal.
    Ergonomics - I found it easier to set the Canon up so that I could quickly change the key settings for me such as exposure compensation.
    Better auto - the Sony seems to want to keep the shutter speed relatively high meaning that it was very keen to go up to whatever the maximum ISO was set to.

The Sony does produce excellent quality shots too and has a very useful viewfinder.

I have recently purchased a Panasonic TZ100 and I think that it is a keeper to replace my G7X. The G7X is a better indoor camera with its faster lens (f1.8 to f2.8 vs f2.8 to f5.9) However the extra reach of the TZ100 (250mm max zoom vs 100mm) and its faster focus and better video really do come in useful for a portable/pocket camera. I also have Sony A6000 with 16-70mm Zeiss lens which I can use indoors. generally I take the compact when I am going on a day trip with the family.

14. Merluza

Merluza
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I looked at these two and didn't like the feel of the Sony and, probably because I have had quite a few Canons, was drawn more to the G7X. In the end I went to John Lewis and handled them all and came away with a G5X. The Sony's ergonomics felt uncomfortable and the settings seemed overly complex and non-intuitive, to a Canon owner at least. The IQ is great, and the G7 will be exactly the same. I decided on the G5X as against the G7X because of the viewfinder which makes it a bit much to put in your pocket but it's easy enough to just sling it round your neck. If you really want something pocketable have a look at the G9X. Go and handle some.

15. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,711
    I looked at the G5x but found it sluggish in shot to shot time, but apart from that I found it a nice camera to handle. However, I thought that if I'm going for something that I'm going to have to carry on a strap anyway then I'd rather have an Olly OMD :D

16. Merluza

Merluza
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The read to card time is pretty poor, no actually it's worse than that, it just doesn't bother me because I'm only using it as a fancy point and shoot for single shots, but I can see that it could. I believe that jpeg only is faster but still not that amazing. You're probably right about the Olly but then you're going somewhere else.

G9X is still worth a look, it's very small and fairly cheap, but the Sony will certainly give a lot more bang for your buck, and you get a viewfinder.

17. newbie1

newbie1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,756
    I'd also suggest getting along to a shop and trying them out in your hand to see which you prefer. Probably can't go wrong with any of the choices being considered.

Personally I have the Sony RX100M3 for when I can't take a DSLR....e.g. Concerts with photography restrictions.

18. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,556
    I use my RX100 Mk1 for the same and have always been pleased with its low light performance and/or with bright lit stage settings. Sound recording is excellent. I am in the same position as the OP. I am having sellers remorse at selling my Fuji X-T1 but I'll "man" up and wait and see what I'll get next. The Sony will do for plenty but it would be nice to have something a bit more capable in the interim. So I have been looking at the G7X II as well as the TZ100 or even a Panasonic LX100 or 15