1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon G3 or G5?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by frodobaggins, Jul 30, 2003.

1. frodobaggins

frodobaggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I can tell, apart from the 1 megapixel difference, these 2 cameras are exactly the same spec.

I am new to digital photography, but want a good camera that's going to last me a while. Is 5MP a huge improvement over 4MP? I can pick up the G3 for £450, but it's at least another £100 to fork out for the G5.

If anyone has these cameras let me know what you think of them.

2. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've got a G1-the best thing I've bought!

The G5 is basically a G3 with a 5mp sensor BUT some reviews have said the image quality is not as good as the G3. A 4mp sensor is enough for a 10x8" enlargement so do you need 5mp?

The G3 is £399 inc VAT at www.warehouseexpress.co.uk compared to £559 for the G5. Definitely a win for the G3!

Cheers

Dave

3. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have a G3 and Kodak DX4900. Both are 4MP but the image quality of the G3 is much better than the Kodak due to better optics and image processing.

I am totally delighted with the G3 and won't be upgrading to the G5 myself. As mentioned before there are reviews which point to the G3 image quality surpassing the G5 in many areas, and the largest prints I can manage are 8"x10" on my photo printer.

I paid over £500 for my G3 and consider it great value at that price, so at current prices I would consider it a steal.

4. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I have a G3 too. Rather than buying a G5 I would recomemnd a G3 and a 420EX flashgun. You won't be sorry.

5. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    There seem to be problems with increased noise in the G5 pictures and the extra 1mp may not be that noticeable unless you blow the pictures up to massive prints

http://www.warehouseexpress.com have the G3 at £399 at the moment which make it a better buy.

Use the money you save for some accessories/extra memory.

woody