Canon EOS400D What is it's direct competition?

Mark Ward

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a Canon EOS400D for a special birthday gift for someone who's very arty and already takes great pictures with her Canon Powershot G7.

Having seen the output from some friends Mid-Range DSLR's it's becoming obvious that the G7 isn't producing what a DLSR could.

She typically photographs, Landscapes, Architectural & Natural and has a good eye for composition. This camera really wouldn't be for the family snaps etc.

So the EOS400D seems to get good reviews and the street price is about the upper end of what I would spend. I've read that the "Kit" lenses aren't that great so was thinking of buying lenses later once we work out which would suit better, but if I'm wrong on the kit lenses I'm happy to buy a kit now.

What would be the EOS400D's current direct competition that would be worthy on consideration? A pal has an Olympus, another has a Fuji DSLR(ish) fixed lens and both swear by what they have.

The Birthday is in a few weeks and it's a big one so want to get this right.

Many thanks,

Mark.

The Fuji you speak of sounds like an S5700 or S6500, could possibly be one of the 9000 series but im not sure if they have a fixed lense. Either way, they arent DSLR's - they are classed as bridge camera's - whereas they would all be suitable for what she wants you'd miss a lot of the nice features you get with a proper DSLR, namely being able to get new lenses.

As far as I know and from what I've been told the kit lense on the 400D is good for the money, I think most people would advise that you go with the kit unless you already have lenses.

The olympus cameras are good from what ive heard, but I think the lense choices are a little limited and harder to get hold of.

I don't think you can go far wrong with a 400D.

Competition wise I think you'd probably say these:

Sony A100
Nikon D80
Olympus E510

Hi there,

I was in the same position as you deciding between Canon 400D and Nikon D40x, and i chose Nikon D40x, why don't you look at HERE, HERE and HERE for the review of Nikon D40x and also on the Digital Photo January 2008, Nikon D40x won the best budget entry level of DSLR. It was really though decisions between the 2 tho as both of them have different advantages. Hope you can decide which one :smashin:

Hope that helps mate :thumbsup:

So, have decided yet :)

Thanks for the replies...

Still considering the Canon due to the sheer number of great user opinion reviews I've seen.

DFrear:
I seem to remember the Fuji my pal has was a 5600 and he's very happy with it, I am aware that it won't be what I'm thinking of buying here. The ability to choose specific lenses will be very important I'm sure.

DFrear & Willykatie:

The Nikons also have great reviews, and that Olympus looks pretty great too. The D40 is well withing budget, the D80 is going to be pushing it a bit at around £500 for the camera alone, compare to the EOS400D that is.

I've had 'puter trouble which has taken up time I should have spent further researching so I'm intending to do some proper hunting tonight & over the weekend.

A bit gutted I just missed the Canon rebate promotion for December:(

Nothing decided yet but thanks for letting me know what else I should be considering.

£400 target budget for the Camera really I guess, but with an extra lens I pay pay more.

Many thanks,

Mark.

Just to confuse you a little more the Sony a100 is only 330 quid now, cracking camera for the dosh and pretty much on par with the 400d and and d40.

The Sony A100 is available at a very good price in the Argos Sale - just £329

The 400D and D40/D40x are in direct competition. The D80 is quite a step up from this range and has more of the functions seen on Pro spec bodies such a secondary LCD screen and better build quality etc. The D80 is in competition with the 30D + 40D range, with canon bringing out the 40D specifically to challenge the D80.

I'm just about to get my first 'proper' camera too, although it's a present for me rather than somebody else! :)

Having looked at both the D40X and the 400D I decided to go for the Canon, it just seems to have a couple more pluses than the D40X. Like you I missed the offer (only decided to get a camera on 31st), which is mildly annoying!

Although I'd be perfectly happy with the 400D I've decided to wait until the 24th for the *rumoured* announcement of the 400D's replacement. My reasoning is this; if there *is* an announcement I can decide whether to buy the new camera or the 400D (and I'd expect a price drop of the 400D if a new model is announced) and if there isn't I've only lost three weeks of photography time and can buy the 400D anyway. Not sure how far away the birthday is but if I didn't have the time to wait I'd get the 400D without hesitation.

In the meantime I've ordered a copy of Understanding Exposure and will get reading ready for when the camera turns up! :D

Birthday is the 20th January, though I have to say if 4 days later the camera is superceded I'm wondering whether I would be better delaying the camera purchase a few days.

I'm going to research that Sony this weekend.

It's for the wife's [-]40th[/-] 30-something :devil: birthday pressie so I want something special.

I'm also getting another fairly big pressie so the camera can wait a few days if necessary.

Good job she never reads the forums!!!

Mark.

Just did a little more research and found a Sony Sony A100 vs Nikon D80 vs 400D You tube synopsis... That Sony looks a GREAT deal!

The full group test here

With the Nikon out due to price, it looks like the Sony's built in image stabilizatiion vs. the Canon's Dust control system.

We've always had (and been happy with) Canon compacts in the past, but that sony has the edge I reckon.

Mark.

In the January edition of Digital Photo there was a comparison test of 8 Budget DSLRs

The Canon 400D Nikon D40X Nikon D80 Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Pentax K10D Samsung GX-10 Sony Alpha 100 test covered all the usual areas Features & Build, Performance, Image Quality and Value for Money
All the cameras performed well. The conclusion was that it was a dead heat between the Canon 400 and the Nikon D40x both got a gold award and the Nikon D80 came second with a silver award.

In the January edition of Digital Photo there was a comparison test of 8 Budget DSLRs

The Canon 400D Nikon D40X Nikon D80 Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Pentax K10D Samsung GX-10 Sony Alpha 100 test covered all the usual areas Features & Build, Performance, Image Quality and Value for Money
All the cameras performed well. The conclusion was that it was a dead heat between the Canon 400 and the Nikon D40x both got a gold award and the Nikon D80 came second with a silver award.
I'll buy a copy of that this weekend.

I dismissed the Nikon as it was only 6.1MP, I hadn't pickup on the fact the D40x was 10.2MP.

ust to throw another proverbial spanner in the works, how about a D40X for £338?

That's a great deal at less than I was expecting so spend.

Looks like I'm back to the start on choosing :).

Thanks everyone, I'm going to buy that mag and jump in, from what I gather none of them will be too much of a disaster.

Mark.

Not discounting the other options but I'll say that the Canon 400D and G7 have very similar menu systems which would make the transition very seamless for anyone already used to Canons.

I'm sure she'll be over the moon with whatever you choose. A dSLR - what a great pressie! :thumbsup: :D

Be aware that the D40X at £338 is with the Nikon cashback offer, and that ends on Monday.

Yea, Monday's the last day to purchase for cashback & 2 year warranty.

For what it's worth though, I chose the D40x over the 400D when I had the choice a couple of months back.
The Nikon is much better put together, doens't feel as cheap or plasticky as the Canon. The kit lens is universally accepted as better than the Canon's too.. so unless you're looking to go out and buy new glass straight away, you'd be getting better photo's "Out of the box" with the Nikon too.

Horses for courses though, I appreciate it's not actually for you, but the buyer really needs to get their hands on them and try a few out.
I found the viewfinder on the Nikon a million times brighter & sharper than the Canon..

For what it's worth though, I chose the D40x over the 400D when I had the choice a couple of months back.
The Nikon is much better put together, doesn't feel as cheap or plasticky as the Canon. The kit lens is universally accepted as better than the Canon's too.. so unless you're looking to go out and buy new glass straight away, you'd be getting better photo's "Out of the box" with the Nikon too.

Horses for courses though, I appreciate it's not actually for you, but the buyer really needs to get their hands on them and try a few out.
I found the viewfinder on the Nikon a million times brighter & sharper than the Canon..

OK here it is...

The winner is.....

The Nikon D40x! Unless I get some serious alternative argument, the "you'd be getting better photo's "Out of the box" bit swayed it. I'm not 100% sure she'll take to photography like she has here other arty pursuits, pottery, painting, design & graphics etc. and getting a pressie that'll give the best chance of great results right now seems the best bet.

Thanks everyone!

Mark.

Im sure she'll love it:)

Get her to handle one first if you can, though;)
Although it makes for interesting debate They are all fairly close in performance but feel different in use.
I use Canons (at home) and a Nikon at work but on our Christmas day party I used a Nikon D40 (My cousins Pressie to his wife) alongside my Canon 30D.It was quite easy to use, felt purposeful and the jpegs on Auto came out pretty well
I wouldnt dissuade anyone from getting one

Not discounting the other options but I'll say that the Canon 400D and G7 have very similar menu systems which would make the transition very seamless for anyone already used to Canons.

Thats what I was thinking.

If keeping the G7 as point and shoot then a canon DSLR would be easier to use for anyone in the family using either camera.

Any of the recent entry level DSLRs would be OK though, so cheap now.

Mark.

Im sure she'll love it:)

Get her to handle one first if you can, though;)

I'll second that I use Canon because I like the handling better than the Nikon but its down to personal taste. I've never understood the animosity between Canon & Nikon users

For what its worth in the test all cameras used the kit lens and the Canon & Nikon were scored the same on image quality (don't shoot the messenger please lol)
current Digital Photo in shops is the Feb issue

onefivenine said:

That's what I was thinking.

If keeping the G7 as point and shoot then a canon DSLR would be easier to use for anyone in the family using either camera.

Hadn't thought of that, I guess the fact it would most likely work with the same ZoombrowserEX import software she likes and already uses (she's "arty" not "teccy").

Kurt_Wylde said:

So is the money back offer still on? I understood it was until the 31st (last Monday)

Thanks again,

Mark.

Hadn't thought of that, I guess the fact it would most likely work with the same ZoombrowserEX import software she likes and already uses (she's "arty" not "teccy").

So is the money back offer still on? I understood it was until the 31st (last Monday)

Thanks again,

Mark.

I think the canon money back ofer has expired, I think with the Nikon you have until the 7th.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom