1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon EOS300D

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Juiceloose, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Evening,

I am complete newcomer to digital photography and currently have a Canon EOS300.

I'm planning purchasing the 300D with 18/55 lens and 1G Hitachi Microdrive for £933. Have no worries about the camera or lens having had Canon for a number of years but know nothing about microdrives whatsoever.

Is the Hitachi a reputable and reliable model. Do I really need a 1G version ?? Is £933 for the camera lens and microdrive a good price ?

Does the microdrive sit within the camera ??

Apologies for what might appear a "daft" question but I do plan to pop into Jessops tomorrow to have a look at camera and pick their brains but would apprecaite any views you experts out there may have before then.

Cheers,

Juiceloose.

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Best price for camera & lens I've seen is just below £800 so with the Microdrive, your price is not far away from that. Do you need a Microdrive? Depends on whether you need to take loads of pictures in one go before returning to a computer. I use a 512 mb CF card without problems (and carry a 128 mb spare from my previous camera). Write times are faster on Microdrives over standard CF so if you need that (sports photography for instance) then gofor a MD.

No idea if Hitachi is as good as IBM.

A microdrive fits into the CF slot

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    BTW Jessops will price match UK web sites so print off the page and take it with you to the shop & you could have the camera today

4. EdR

EdR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sounds like a decent combination - I'm using a 300D with an IBM 1GB MD + a 340MB MD as a backup.

Hitachi has purchased IBMs hard drive division, therefore as far as I know the products should be identical. If you end up using RAW mode (which is quite likely if you want to adjust various picture aspects on your PC) then I would highly recommend getting a 1GB drive - it isn't a lot different in cost over a decent high speed 512 Compact flash card, so might as well enjoy the extra space!!

Admittedly microdrives are supposed to use up more battery power than a flash card, but I can't say that this has caused me a problem yet (could always get the battery grip and a 2nd battery if you wanted.....)

I suggest you get a USB2 / Cardbus adapter for the MD rather than using the camera to transfer piccies to your PC - 1GB's worth of files at 12Mbit/Sec takes too long for me!!

Good luck with your decision.