Canon EOS 650D or Canon 60D OR something else?

WorldUK

Ex Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first DSLR this weekend.

So far was almoust sure to go for the Canon EOS 650D kit with 18-55mm IS.
Now i also have an offer for similar price a Canon EOS 60D kit with 18-135mm.

Now i find myself in front of a big question... Witch one to buy?

And theres also a big OR.... is there something better avaliable in same price range? (600-700£).

Help:lease:

All of the DSLR's at this price range are going to offer the same picture quality with similar levels of of control.

More importantly in my opinion is how it feels in your hand and if the control layout and menu system suits you.

My advice would get into a Jessops etc and go and have play at least then you can make a decision based on the feel of the camera.

My advice would be to spend a bit less on the camera and more on lenses as it is these that will make the huge difference in image quality.

You can get the 550D or 600D at a good price now (they have the same sensor as the 60D and very similar to the 650D).

Then spend the rest for a couple of good lenses:
1. A fast short zoom at f2.8 (new or used) e.g Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Sigma 18-50 2.8
2. A fast prime: canon 50mm 1.8

I went through this exact same process a few months ago. They're both good camera and there's no difference in image quality so unless there's a specific feature you can't do without that one of them has you're much better off trying both of them out in a shop to see which you prefer.

I found the pentaprism vs. pentamirror made a difference (in favour of the 60D), but you'll get better image quality by spending more of your budget on lenses (like the 50mm 1.8 that can be had for under £100, a must buy).

Just that with 650D ill be getting a 18-55 lens but with 60D ill be getting the 18-135mm lens.
And for 650D i should fork out 620£ but for 60D 650£... so if looking into witch kit offers more value then 60D with 18-135mm is better choise?

Have a look at the Sony A57 and A65.

FYI, just in case you didn't know (but you might...)
Note that the 18-135mm STM lens sold in a kit with the 650D, is not the same 18-135mm IS lens sold as a kit with the 60D.
Neither the 18-55mm or the regular 18-135mm kit lenses are much to write home about.
However, the 18-135mm STM lens with the 650D looks a lot better on paper - but no reviews yet that I know of.

get a 1100d and use the rest on lenses. if u like photography, upgrade the body to a 7d or maybe even a 5d2 when the time comes.

Well i think 1100D is bit old to start up. Think 600D-650D-60D is good , as i do plan to get lenses but first want to learn to use the camera with kit lens. Its not like i buy the kit and thats it.

the 1100d is not that old and will give u more funds to invest in better lenses

I got a 60D recently with the 15-85 3.5 to 5.6 lens. I think it is the best thing since sliced bread :p

Nah but seriously, I spoke to a guy about getting the A77, he said Sony support was terrible here in Sweden and he advised me against the Sony. I played with a 600D and 60D and 7D in the shop, felt the 7D didn't offer enough at the time (although now with new firmware that is changed... god damn it :p), although for the price I paid I would of got the 60D again.

As someone else said, go and play with them before you decide!

I've plumped for the 650D as a stop gap measure until Canon unleashes the 7D replacement.
While I thought the touchscreen was a bit of a gimmick, it actually works really well. Similar to the iPhone and other smartphones in terms responsiveness. It's probably the best user interface Canon have produced in a long time, it makes me not miss the quick control dial on my 50D all that much.

Should of gotten a 5d3 :)

i bet the 7d2 will be priced around 2k mate.

Infact whos to say there will be a 7d2? 6d is coming soon. priced at around 2k.

a 5d3 can be had for 1.9k now

Looking at the spec of new Nikon D5200, Canon will need to respond soon with a 7D2 or a 70D perhaps.

I've not got that kind of money at the moment, hence the 650D as a stop gap measure (Digic 5 processor vs Digic 4 in my 50D). There will be a top end APS-C camera, if that's the 7D or the 70D who knows.

If the 5D3 stays around that price range, then the 6D should probably drop in price quite quickly (be it in Hong Kong or the UK). I'm not sold on the 6D quite yet.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom