Canon EOS 600D sound output options

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by simonofischia, Aug 27, 2012.

1. simonofischia

simonofischia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just about to purchase a Canon EOS 600D camera for video use only-interviews etc where something small will be better than humping my rather large broadcast camera around. The interviews will be uploaded to a web page. I am looking at the best option of monitoring the sound. The 600D has no headphone socket. Therefore i am looking at the possibility of utilising the AV output to some type of box that can handle the output mode. If anyone has any ideas other than using a Beachtek box, which i don't really want to do then please let me know. This must be one of the most ridiculous designs by Canon. They put a manual audio control on the camera and no way of monitoring the sound. Amazing. Any ideas folks?

2. mucca_D

mucca_D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Do you need a DSLR? If you are used to using a broadcast camera, then I am sure you will understand the restrictions and the required kit to use a DSLR for video effectively.

Would something like this camera be much simpler? #justsaying

3. simonofischia

simonofischia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. The depth of field issue is an important one for me. I am sure you are aware that video cameras simply are not in the same league as digital stills cameras with regard to getting great depth of field. Also, the low light capacity and manual control is far superior. Most of my work is filming press lines at film openings, so low light is an issue. I appreciate what you are suggesting and in fact until recently i did have a Panasonic 900 video camcorder as a back up camera. I have used the 550D and it was superb. Nice small camera to wander around with and saves my aching back. The sound is my big issue here, not the choice of camera. Thanks anyway.

4. mucca_D

mucca_D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Fair one! sounds (no pun) like you know what your doing.

So to go back to your question.

I am sure you could do something with the AV lead.

Failing that I am sure one like below would work on the 600D too

Sescom Sescom DSLR-550D-HOCF AV Out Headphone Monitoring Cable for Canon T2i/550D/60D DSLR & Magic Lantern USB Mini to 3.5mm TRS Female 1 Foot DSLR Audio Cables at Markertek.com

5. Calzor Suzay

Calzor Suzay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    You can monitor audio via a USB cable and running magic lantern.