Canon EOS 400d , good deal ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by col1888, Dec 26, 2011.

1. col1888

col1888
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Seen an advert on our forum at work, guy is selling a Canon 400d, 18-55mm kit lens, 16gb sd card and camera bag. Not sure how old it is or how many shots it has taken. He is asking £250, is this a good deal ? I know the guy and it will have been looked after. Is this a good beginner's DSLR ?

Thanks for any views / advice ?

2. eddiewood

eddiewood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,145
    They go for £200-£270 on eBay. I'd offer £220 as a cheeky starter. ;)

One thing to note, the 400D does not have live-view, something that you may miss if you are used to a compact camera.

3. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +992
    Which lens does it come with? If its the 18-55mm non image stablished lens than you have to beware thats it's not a very good quality lens. The 18-55 mm IS lens that came with the 450d is much better. I've never used a 400d but from reading around it seems like the high ISO performance isn't great, also no live-view which isn't a killer feature but has enabled me to get some shots which otherwise wouldn't have been possible.

I would personally save up for a used 450D, mine is 3 years old and still going strong:) I thought 2nd hand 450d with a kit lens are going for £300??