1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon EOS 350D quick lesson?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by jools230575, Apr 26, 2005.

1. jools230575

jools230575

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks

A quick question for all you EOS 350D users out there willing to help out :D

Every few months I venture off to Paris. One thing I LOVE about Paris is how the city is lit up and the limitless potential of night shots.

At the moment I am still feeling my way around the Canon so I am unsure on a number of things (I'm a quick learner though). My previous camera was a Fujifilm A310 (3m px).

I was able to take some pretty good night shots with the Fuji (see here and I was wondering if some kind soul could give me a quick rundown on how to do the same kind of thing with my newly acquired Canon.

Also, if an explanation could be given as to why you would do what that would be superbe! but that is probably asking too much and I don't want to overstep the mark;)

Hopefully this isn't taken as being cheeky. I am not that familiar with SLR and all the functions etc. I'm on a learning curve :)

Thank you to any and all

Jools

2. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    im not ideally places to give perfect instructions, but i do this..

set to shutter priority, set shutter to 2 or 3 secs, the aperture should set itself accordingly, use a tripod too...or set it to manual and fiddle around with the aperture and shutter speed, the beauty of digital is that you can do that! Keep a note of what settings do what, its the best way to learn if you are not technically verse like me!

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. mighty_boosh

mighty_boosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't use Tv mode, the aperture will be fully open which will give you shallow depth of field and it probably won't be the sharpest image you could get. Use fully manual mode and set the aperture to f8 or f10 or smaller, you'll get much more in focus, particularly if you are using a long lens, just use a longer exposure.

Use ISO 100, much less noise. You are compensating for lack of light by long exposure.

Don't rely on auto focus, set it to manual.

Use the meter reading as a guide, but don't rely on it, it is not calibrated to be used for night-time photography.

Take a few at different shutter speeds and review the pictures.

Shoot using RAW, you've got more latitude for editing the photos afterwards. If you under/overexpose a JPEG there's very little you can do - RAW has more dynamic range. Invest in a large and fast compact flash card if you haven't already, you can get an 1GB card pretty cheap these days.

Use mirror lock-up, it prevents vibration from the mirror when taking the shot.

Use the 10sec timer mode or remote shutter release, this again minimises vibration caused when depressing the shutter button.

There you go, I think I've covered everything. Happy shooting.

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It really does come down to what you're shooting you'll need a tripod for shots like this

http://www.pbase.com/joubert/image/26777520

F11 at 1 sec pretty much has the mighty boosh adviced.

Nice to have the mighty boosh with us, big fan of your work show:laugh:

7. homerdog

homerdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    A few ideas :)

1. Camera on tripod
    2. Mirror lock-up set via custom function
    3. Drive mode set to self-timer
    4. Noise reduction set by custom function
    5. ISO 100
    6. Manual exposure mode
    7. Aperture about f8-f16
    8. Experiment with different shutter speeds to give the desired exposure

1, 2 and 3 will minimise the chances of camera shake. The self-timer activates after 3 seconds with mirror lock-up activated (it's normally 10). 4 and 5 will give best image quality. Finally, 6, 7 and 8 will give you the flexibility to get the exposure right, whilst maintaining good depth of field and making the most of lens sharpness. Hope all that makes sense! ;)

Edited to add that I have said pretty much what boosh said - that will teach me to start a reply and then get distracted for half an hour before finishing it!

[​IMG]

8. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think all the above advice would do well in the advice section.. I'll leave it here for a few days then stick it there.

Nice work lads;)

9. jools230575

jools230575

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone!

I didn't expect such a mass of responses :smashin:

I gave the article on Ephotozine a read on night photography. It was interesting as I didn't know that you could night shots without flash (I did read it right didn't I?). I always assumed that flash was a must when shooting at night.

As far as using tripods go. Best investment I made a couple of months back.

I am also going to get the lead to release the shutter so that I don't have to press the button on the camera itself.

I am so glad that I came across this forum :D

Jools

10. mighty_boosh

mighty_boosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, you only need use flash if you want to light up a close subject - even the largest most powerful flash is not going to light up the Eifel Tower from any distance. Imagine the sunburn you'd get from one that could :D

Big time Boosh fan since I heard their show on Radio 4. I was glad to see the guys finally get a TV show on BBC3, but why so long after? :confused:

11. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    It's not a tub, it's a Jungle Jim lunchbox.

12. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Same here, these things seem to take their time crossing over to the bbc. I've seen the the mod one at the comedy store in town a few years ago and i dont think i've laughed that much in years

13. jools230575

jools230575

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Just been out and tested my new piece of kit.

Tried the settings that were suggested. Sweet :D

Interesting not using the flash in darkness. Always assumed that you had. But what boosh says makes sense :smashin:

Went through a number of shutter times and it is interesting to see how a longer shutter gives you a very nice photo.

Tried the bulb setting. Again, very cool to be able to get a shot out of that. Always wondered how you get those late night dark street scenes. Now I know! Only held the bulb for 50 seconds but it gives me a better idea of what can be achieved.

Next purchase. Remote

Thank you again to everyone. You have really started opening up a whole new world for me :thumbsup: