Canon EOS 30D + Lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mark9, Dec 18, 2006.

1. mark9

mark9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the forum and rather new to digital SLR photography too and about to make the jump.

Having spent much time investigating various options, weighing one camera against another and above all trying them all out I have opted to go for the Canon EOS 30D. More than anything it just feels right in my hand. I always thought I'd go for the Nikon D80 but the 30D just just edged it.

I take a lot of images for my website which is devoted to my passion for tree ferns. For this reason I take a lot of images in low light situations such as shaded forest and indoor glasshouses. I gathered that the 30D is better in low light.

My problem now is one of lens choice. I need a lens or lenses that will take excellent close-ups of foliage in low light but also I will be taking nice open shots of forest scenes etc. I'm tempted by the IS kit lens with the 30D but some say it's not fast enough ?

I've just read another thread on here singing the praises of the 50mm f2.8 and so maybe I should go for that and a 17-40 ? I'm not the type who wants to spend all my time stopping and changing lenses so a 2 lens kit will be what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be my best combination ? I ought to mention also, my budget. £400 - £500 absolute max.
    Thanks for any help

Regards,
    Mark

2. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    400-500 max, is that for lenses or lens + camera? Doesnt leave much after buying a 30D.

Also be perpaired for the 30D to be replaced by a 40D sometime soon (probably 10mp with sensor cleaning).

As for your subjects, tree ferns dont tend to move all that much, so a solid tripod will do you more good than a fast lens, your probably going to want to stop down for sharpness & DoF anyhow.

The 50mmf1.8 is a crackiong lens & sharp from f2.2 onwards but its no macro lens.

"that will take excellent close-ups of foliage in low light but "
    I'm afraid there isnt one that will do this without a tripod and/or flash.

Are you talking shots like this (one of my own, living in NZ has its uses)?

[​IMG]

3. mark9

mark9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,
    That's a corking image ! Funnily enough I'm moving to NZ in the new year so my tree fern imaging potential will increase dramatically hence the push for a finer set-up.
    The 400-500 budget is for lenses and yes I had a feeling that the 40D wont be too far away but it's likely to be just out of my budget. The 30D is going fairly cheap right now at around £650 with the cashback deal from Canon and I simply wont need the extra 2MP for web images. Will I ?

Still blown away by that crozier image. Is it a smithii ?

Thanks,
    Mark

4. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    Dunno, its a snap!:D Taken with my (now sold) Minolta A2, 200mm macro + onboard flash. You can see there wasnt quite the DoF to get the whole thing in focus:( was handheld and IS was on (Taken in Abel Tasmen).

canon have been playing it too safe with their camera upgrades, mebe they'll push the boat out with the 40d but I'm guessing not, 2mp extra isnt worth much, sensor cleaning is (a little) no idea what else they've got up their sleve for it.

Not quite sure what to recomend realy, most dSLR macro lenses are fixed length primes, most 'zooms' are only pseudo macro, canons 'L' walk round lenses arnt going to be wide or close enough focusing.

I'm thinking of getting the Sigma 17-70, its fast at the wide end (f2.8) f4.5 at the long end, focuses very close and has some macro ability (1:2 or so). 70mm is long enogh for a walk round lens too.

5. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    The 17-40L won't be that wide on a 30D. I'd go for the following:

EF-S 10-22mm for wider work - keep the kit lens and use that if you need wider.

EF 100mm f2.8 Macro for close-up work.

You should be able to get both for your budget.

6. Valleyman

Valleyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    How close are the close ups you want to do?

Do you require macro 1:1 or would 1:2 be good enough? If the latter there are many hybrid lenses which do a reasonbly good job.

7. mark9

mark9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys,
    Shots similar to that of Rob's of the tree fern crozier is as close as I need to get.

I went out and bought the 50mm f1.8 lens today. I couldn't resist such a natty little thing for £70.

The EF 10-22 sounds like a really good option, thanks. I really don't want too much weight and simply wont need long zooms so maybe that 10-22 will be perfect !

Thanks,
    Mark

8. salubrious_k

salubrious_k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Well I have both the 50mm f/1.8 and the 17-40L and I think they complement each other extremely well. The only obvious lack is in the telephoto range, but you make do with what you have. I've thoroughly enjoyed using these lenses over the last 9 months and would very much recommend them. Have a look at my flickr stream if you're interested in the kind of shots I've been taking with them.

9. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Now that you have the nifty fifty, you could add extension tubes for just 85 pounds and get a cheap macro option. Then you'll still have enough to buy a decent zoom.

10. mark9

mark9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my 30D yesterday with 18-55 kit lens to keep me going for a while along with the 50mm 1.8.

I bought the leather case that Canon make for it that screws into tripod mount. Can't decide whether I like it or not but other than that I can't wait to get out there this weekend.

Thanks,
    mark