Answered Canon EOS 250D vs 800D

amardilo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

What would people suggest is a good DSLR camera for a total photography beginner/novice?

I am looking to get my girlfriend a Canon DSLR as a present (her friends and family have Canon DSLRs so I thought she could borrow lens from them from time to time).

She has never had a DSLR before (uses her phone mostly) but would like to learn and really wants to get into it.

My original plan was to get her a Canon EOS 250D (but it got lost in shipping) as I heard it had a simple UI that would guide you through how to take photos and it's really light weight (and it fit my budget £450-£550). She will be using it a lot for travel (lots of walking with it on her) so size and weight seem important.

However I've recently seen that the Canon EOS 800D has a rebate offer making it cheaper (without a starter lens) than the 250D and it has an option for a guided UI but it's heavier and I would need to get a starter lens for it too.

From what I can tell the 250D can do 4K video (all be it very cropped), the 800D has many more AF points (does this make a difference?), the 250D is lighter and more compact, the 800D has NFC and the 250D has a newer processor and the battery lasts a lot longer.

I've looked online for comparisons and found a few links but nothing with real world usage and info.
Canon 250D vs Canon 800D Comparison Review
Comparison: Canon EOS 250D / SL3 (Rebel SL3) vs Canon EOS 800D (Rebel T7i) | CameraCreativ.com

Also if I get the 800D I'd have to get a basic all round lens so I am not sure where to get a similar lens to the 250D (18-55mm 4-5.6 IS STM) kit lens that fits my budget. I've heard of "white box" lens are these safe to buy?

Last edited:
Get the best body with the best metering and largest number of metering and focus points you can. Battery life is not normally an issue - my old 600D gives me 200+ shots on a charge. Looking at the specs, the 250D is quite basic in terms of creative shooting and getting to things like IOS settings and exposure quickly. If you are wanting to get into serious photography, these are important.

Lens wise, the 18-55 might be a bit restrictive. A 2nd hand 18-135 might be a better starting point. A well loved 2nd hand one might cost you about £100, but it's well worth the money. You can always upgrade it for the next present :)

Video wise, 1080p is normally fine unless you intend to crop the image during editing - or are looking to make 4K movies for a specific reason. TBH, you need the better EF full frame lenses to see the benefit of 4K, as the sharpness even with the smaller sensors is significant at 4K.

Never used the wifi / NFC options on any of my cameras. They always feel quite slow when simply whipping out the SD card and shoving it in the laptop will transfer the files in a few seconds. Using a phone as a remote is interesting though.

Weight in important, but the lens often weighs as much as the camera with longer, brighter lenses. a good strap and a reasonable tripod usually negates the weight in any case.

Last edited:
I am looking to get my girlfriend a Canon DSLR as a present (her friends and family have Canon DSLRs so I thought she could borrow lens from them from time to time)

My original plan was to get her a Canon EOS 250D (but it got lost in shipping) as I heard it had a simple UI that would guide you through how to take photos and it's really light weight (and it fit my budget £450-£550). She will be using it a lot for travel (lots of walking with it on her) so size and weight seem important.

I'm going to complicate things for your a bit.
You say lots of travel and size and weight are important.
I used to own a full size DSLR but often left it at home because the body and esp. the extra lenses were heavy.
I moved to a Micro 4/3rds mirrorless camera and now carry the camera and all my lenses every time we go out.
A lot depends on if you're "Taking pictures when you're out" or "Going out to take pictures", if it's the latter then more kit and more weight are perhaps less of an issue.

You might want to consider a mirrorless camera instead of a DSLR. I don't know much about Canon's offerings but I wouldn't put too much store on your relatives having Canon lenses to borrow unless they're fairly into photography and have some great lenses in which case ask their advice!

This link will show you the size difference of the two cameras you've talked about and a couple of entry level Micro 4/3rds alternatives in your budget.
Compact Camera Meter

I have the Olympus OM-D E-M10 mark ii and with the little EZ lens it's very portable and I'm very happy with the quality of the images
AMcUK

Micro 4/3rds sensors are slightly smaller than APS-C sensors in the Canons you've talked about but they feature stabilisation which - assuming your walking to look at landscapes - can negate the need for a tripod in lots of circumstances. I own a tripod, can't remember the last time I took it out.

There are also mirrorless system cameras from Fuji and other manufacturers if you decide to look beyond Canon.

If you haven't already I'd have a read of this sticky thread too.
Camera Buying Guide

Get the best body with the best metering and largest number of metering and focus points you can.

That would be the 800D then as it has 45 AF points to the 250D's 9.

Lens wise, the 18-55 might be a bit restrictive. A 2nd hand 18-135 might be a better starting point. A well loved 2nd hand one might cost you about £100, but it's well worth the money. You can always upgrade it for the next present :)

Might have to give eBay a look and find a way to wrap up a 2nd hand lens and make it seem like a new item...:laugh:;)

Weight in important, but the lens often weighs as much as the camera with longer, brighter lenses. a good strap and a reasonable tripod usually negates the weight in any case.

I go her a Peak Design Leash Camera Strap as I heard they are strong enough to hold up a camera and have quick release.

I'm going to complicate things for your a bit.
You say lots of travel and size and weight are important.
I used to own a full size DSLR but often left it at home because the body and esp. the extra lenses were heavy.
I moved to a Micro 4/3rds mirrorless camera and now carry the camera and all my lenses every time we go out.
A lot depends on if you're "Taking pictures when you're out" or "Going out to take pictures", if it's the latter then more kit and more weight are perhaps less of an issue.

You might want to consider a mirrorless camera instead of a DSLR. I don't know much about Canon's offerings but I wouldn't put too much store on your relatives having Canon lenses to borrow unless they're fairly into photography and have some great lenses in which case ask their advice!

I looked at mirrorless but she seems to have her heart set on getting a DSLR so I don't want to deviate too much (it's also a surprise so trying not to throw too many hints or questions her way).

By travel I mean taking it on trips to different countries and going sight seeing with it. We've also got to that age where everyone we know seems to have a lot of "functions" (i.e. big dinners, weddings and whatever) so I think she plans to take it along with her. The weight issue does worry me a bit, the 800D is 532g without a lens which to me seems fine but if you add a lens making it say 1kg I wonder if she might feel like it's heavy.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Last edited:
I've just weighed my 600d at that tips the scales at 650g. With the 18-135 lens, it goes up to 1092g. This is my grab and gun camera and the kids take it on trips as well and we don't really notice the weight.

The 7D and EF lenses I use at work feels at least twice the weight and is a pain to cart around. I don't think you will struggle with the 800d

Just for info on size -

here is a 100D (predecessor to the 250D) with 18-55 kit lens vs a 6D (a little bigger than the 800D) with 24-105 L lens

Untitled
by A H, on Flickr

Thanks. I went to a store to hold a 800D and it felt fine to me but not sure how my other half will find it.

I bought a Canon 800D (body only) that arrived this week (I understand news about a new camera from Canon will be announced tonight so my timing was perfect there).

I also got 3 lenses Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM and I bought a 2nd hand EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM.

Looking at all that tech gear I now want to get a camera for myself :rolleyes::rotfl:.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom