Canon EOS 1Ds MkIII

gazza73

The RRP is £6K but will it actually sell at that price or at the £4.5K of the MkII version now?

Don't know Canons history on RRP and real life price and would like to know before I pre order mine.

HotblackDesiato

The RRP is £6K but will it actually sell at that price or at the £4.5K of the MkII version now?

Don't know Canons history on RRP and real life price and would like to know before I pre order mine.

Early on you can expect to pay close to the SRP, in time it'll fall and hopefully more quickly now Nikon are dipping their toe into full frame.

D

danburbridge

yeah - probably will pay rrp for a while - though hopefully with the D3 as competition this will induce a FF price war - not that I can afford any of them but hopefully this causes someone to intro a £7/800 body - THEN I will be interested.

Tobers

I dont know about you guys, but I really fancy one of these. It's stupid money, and is way better than my photography skills, but there's just something about having the ultimate that really attracts.

I wonder how much my kids will sell for...

inkinoo

I dont know about you guys, but I really fancy one of these. It's stupid money, and is way better than my photography skills, but there's just something about having the ultimate that really attracts.

Go the other way ... buy a 350D and try and take as good photos!

denno75uk

Do it man! Do it! :devil: For only when someone makes the ultimate sacrifice and we watch their slow descent into oblivion with only a shiny new camera to comfort him can the rest of us truly understand the folly of such actions. It'll ruin you, but the forum, our families and our bank accounts will be forever in your debt.:clap:

bodoman

Distinguished Member

I think everyone on here, totally understands the feeling Tobers, and believe me not one of us will think bad of you if go ahead and buy it, its what we do:laugh:

I had a similar feeling 2 years ago, though not on the same scale.

one bright and sunny morning i had gone to London to price up some work, got off the tube and passed the R G Lewis shop, who are Leica dealers, something was glinting in the window, and somehow seem to be smiling at me, so i stopped and stared at this apparition, it was this huge piece of glass, tacked on the back of it was this camera body with a huge logo that said `LEICA`(it was a Digilux 2)
I stood and stared for ages at this lovely piece of glass (i have always been a glass man).
Then the adrenaline kicked in, i could not think of anything else, i was in a sort of daze, did not even notice, or did want to notice the £1200.00 price tag, which was irrelevant anyway, i wanted that baby.
When i floated back to my office later that day, i went straight onto the internet and spent the rest of the day drooling over pictures and reviews of it.
Got home and did the same, and started looking at my present camera, a Minolta 7i, which up until then had been the most beautiful camera in the world and all of sudden it was a tired worn out piece of junk, that did not deserve to even be in the same room as me, found myself talking to it, `your going pal and you can take your puny piece of glass on the front with you`.

Spent a fitful nights sleep, got up to go to work, made an extra fuss of the wife with extra kisses and a cheery wave as i went, thought i would soften the ground as i knew what i just had to do and i would worry about the consequences later.

Got to work, slid the plastic out of the pocket and got to work (on the internet), and if i ever needed confirmation that this was the right thing to do, Classic cameras had it on special for £999.00, it was an omen, come to daddy my little beauty.
Arrived within 24 hours, delivered to my work place to give me extra time to
to come up with reasoned argument why i had to have it to my wife.
When i got home clutching the goodies, told the wife what i had done, then paused for breath to guage her reaction before i went into a rehearsed spiel
about why i had bought it, you just said, well you work hard dear, you deserve to have nice things:eek: Dont you just love these Norwegian women.

So Tobers, give it a go, you know it makes sense :D

Photography, dont you just love it

jonnypb

The upgrade bug bites again :devil:

I'm loving the sound of the 40D, must resist though as I haven't had the 400D for that long.......

Must not spend too much money
Must not spend too much money
Must not spend too much money :lesson:

gazza73

I personally think anyone must be mad to spend that much on a camera unless they earn money from photography.

But I suppose the harsh reality (and I don't mean to offend) that because most people who lust after cameras like this, thinking they take better pictures because the cost more and have bigger mega pixels all come into the same category....... male amateur photographers. I was the same once but since turning professional have now moved on to expensive cars.:thumbsdow

Unless you print large poster size prints then save the money because the 1D MkIII or 5D will be money better spent.

senu

Distinguished Member
I personally think anyone must be mad to spend that much on a camera unless they earn money from photography.

But I suppose the harsh reality (and I don't mean to offend) that because most people who lust after cameras like this, thinking they take better pictures because the cost more and have bigger mega pixels all come into the same category....... male amateur photographers. I was the same once but since turning professional have now moved on to expensive cars.:thumbsdow

Unless you print large poster size prints then save the money because the 1D MkIII or 5D will be money better spent.

Amen to that....there will be a better camera than the 1Ds.. next year , then what?
With Nikon firing on all cylinders with the D3 and D300.. Canon are no doubt scurrying back to the "Lab"
I totally agree though that Live is too short and a mans got to do what a mans got to do .. but I think many of us can just as easily do it with a 5D or 1D Mk111!:)
I think very nice glass with them will get me to photography heaven..... for now:thumbsup:

Yandros

Amen to that....there will be a better camera then the 1Ds.. next year , then what?
With Nikon firing on all cylinders with the D3 and D300.. Canon are no doubt scurrying back to the "Lab"
I totally agree though that Live is too short and a mans got to do what a mans got to do .. but I think many of us can just as easily do it with a 5D or 1D Mk111!:)
I think very nice glass with them will get me to photography heaven..... for now:thumbsup:

Yeah, with computer technology (which this is starting to rapidly resemble), you can get your fingers badly burned keeping on the bleeding edge. Thom Hogan just summed it up rather well - the Nikon D2Xs effectively just dropped in price overnight by $3200 with the launch of the (superior) D300

Tobers

It's the same sort of thing with cars really - everyone would "like" a Ferrari or Porsche (or Audi R8!), but sanity and common sense generally means you end up driving a Peugeot.

Still, I would really like a 1Ds3....

Radiohead

To answer this question I think the initial street price will be lower than the RRP, but not at £4500. That said, I did read that Canon said the price of the 1DsII and III would be the same so who knows. Initial demand may well keep it a bit higher though.

I know a couple of fellow wedding shooters who have already ordered 2 each for studio work, to run alongside their 1DIII wedding bodies.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom