Canon EF 50mm f1.8 MK2 advice

It's rated highly. It's said to be the best bang for buck lens you can buy

I have the 50 1.4 and i just love it

I have the 1.8 mkII and as Sean says it is highly rated.
Build is very good for an all plastic body and mount, not sure how well it would bounce but its the optics that matter and very good they are too.

7dayshop have them for £54 + a couple of ££ for postage, Jessops won't price match 7dayshop but who cares, used them a number of times without a problem and delivery usually within 48hrs :)

As mentioned above - great lens for the money, very useful for low light conditions. Manual focus is a pig but that might not be an issue.

Had a look at a used mk1 about an hour ago, much better build quality- was tempted but then saw an 85/1.8 and bought that instead :thumbsup:

Well done on the 85 Tom;) i love mine

Geoff, 50mm on a 20D is ideal for portraits. Easily sharp enough for products to

Guys, thanks for the advice thus far!

Unfortunately 7Dayshop are out of stock and I need it for Friday!

Seany - would it be good for casual wedding candids (see my other thread, I am attending a friends wedding on Friday and want to be about to shoot a few! I also have a Sigma 28 - 135mm, what would be best 50mm fixed or 28-135mm?)

I'd have thought that for close candids it doesn't quite have the reach (you'll have to get a bit close to the subject for it to truly be candid) and Seany will suggest the 85mm......

Andrew you know me too well:laugh:

I'm guessing the 85 is out geoffs budget though.

I'm always taking photo's of people, and alot of the time in bars and on the street. They don't have any idea most of the time, and i don't know them. Breeson never used more then a 50 mm the father of street photoraphy. The af is so fast on the 50's i'm sure you'll get plenty of candids before they have any idea about it

But it's all about how fast you can spot something. This was nearly the first photo i took with my 85, actually not long left jessops with it. I was right near them with the 85, i just picked the best time i could to capture them. More about how i waited and where i stood then what lens i had http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74239

yup 50mm f1.8 is a cracking lens, i use mine almost constantly. bang for buck i dont think you can beat it

seany said:
Andrew you know me too well:laugh:

I'm guessing the 85 is out geoffs budget though.

I'm always taking photo's of people, and alot of the time in bars and on the street. They don't have any idea most of the time, and i don't know them. Breeson never used more then a 50 mm the father of street photoraphgy

Bresson

Just got hold of a EF-S 60 f 2.8 macro, very sharp. Managed to get it for £279 and with the voucher I had with my 350D I'll get another £30 back. Don't know what your budget is but it makes a great portrait lens, works out to be 98mm in 35mm terms and it will fit your 20D.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom