Canon EF 50mm f/1.4

ghibbett

Hello all :hiya:

Has anyone got or tried Canons' 50mm f/1.4? Thoughts / piccies?
I have the nifty fifty (f/1.8) but am thinking of selling it for the f/1.4...

Cheers,

petrolhead

Out of interest which camera will you be using it on?

ghibbett

Radiohead

It's a very nice little lens. USM (albeit not genuine ring USM), much nicer out-of-focus areas. It's a little softer than you'd expect wide open but is tack sharp from f2 on. The softness below f2 can be used to your advantage for a dreamier look:

This is at f1.6

273357742_5069a09b0e_o.jpg

and this at f3.5

273357699_64e97e357b_o.jpg

I find it more useful on a 5D than a crop body like the 400D though - there it becomes more of a short tele and headshot territory. Take a look at the Sigma 30mm f1.4 for a more normal lens on a 400D.

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
Oh yes, this is a fantastic lens.
Its my all time favourite and i would be more than happy to just have this one lens.
When i have it on the camera it seems to make it easier to take shots. Because its so fast and sharp i tend to forget about the camera and just concentrate on shooting.
122499246-M.jpg

115065889-M.jpg

123322235-M.jpg

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member

Cheers,

I must admit i didnt think there would be much difference between the f/1.8 and f/1.4 but there is. Focusing is faster and it just feels better made. I found i used to stop down with the f/1.8 but i can shoot at f/1.4 with this lens (but please note, not outdoors. performance is not great wide open out doors a lot of the time).
I had a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (in fact ive gone through 3 in two years) and although its nice and sharp you have to make sure you get a good copy. Mine had trouble focusing on distances (say, 20+ feet), even at f/8. this was my second copy, the first was just plain soft all the time. I got rid of it and got a 35mm f/2 and immediately fell in love with it. when i got my 30D i got another Sigma but only kept it a day as it wasnt as sharp as my 50mm f/1.8II. i sold the f/1.8 and got the f/1.4 and am very pleased with it.

Of course this is just my experience and lots of people love the Sigma

senu

Distinguished Member

Cheers,

The 1.4 ( i have both.. cant be bothered to sell the 1.8 :rolleyes: ) is better made, has faster AF (USM) and has significantly "nicer" bokeh:smashin:
I havent really used the 1- 1/2 stop advantage as I seldom use even an aperture of 1.8
Also Its colour and contrast outdoors is better ..but not at the wider apertures
It isnt sharper though;)

ghibbett

Thanks for all the replies Guys. Looks like the f/1.4 is on the list.

Right, anyone want a 50mm f/1.8 II for £45? :rotfl:

Cheers,

Zone

I'm sure you'll get plenty of offers if you advertise it in the forums classifieds if and when you decide to sell ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom