Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Canon Digital IXUS 500 -v- Canon Digital IXUS 40

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by t0by, Nov 7, 2004.

1. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have been looking at replacing my old 2 megapixel digital ixus since it finally packed up recently. I've been attracted to the Ixus 500 but saw the Ixus 40 side-by-side with the 500 in the flesh yesterday and was impressed by its size and screen size.

My requirements are fairly simple:
    - Compactness is my primary requirement - must be able to fit in my jeans pocket else I just won't take it out with me!
    - Not looking for lots of fancy manual features - I'm just an amateur point and click photographer.
    - Would be nice to be able to keep my existing CF card, but not critical. (I know the Ixus 40 takes SD).
    - Most images get processed to go on my www site, but I am increasingly using services like PhotoBox to print of hard copies so need to be able to take shots at a decent res for enlargement (prob A4 at most).
    - I did like shooting little movies with my old Ixus, so would be nice to be able to continue.

Can any of you guys offer me any comments or advice that might help me decide? I have read about a hardware problem (error E18) with the lens on the 500 on dpreview. Anyone got any comments on that?

Many thanks in advance
    Toby

2. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Go with the Ixus 430, actually has better results than the 500 strangely enough.