Canon demonstrates SED displays

Yep - does anyone know if they've fixed the internal support issues? Early previews suggested that there were some visible structural issues meaning there were lines visible in the screen, because the display needed internal supports to stop it collapsing in on itself.

The first commercial units are 50" designs from a small-scale pilot manufacturing plant AIUI - and will be around the US$10k level (the same as the Qualia 004 71" RPTV based on LCoS style tech - which looks fab!) When the larger scale plants currently still being built come on-line the price should drop - and more sizes should become available?

**EDIT ** Looking at the screenshots there was no apparent support issues.

If these displays perform as well as CRTs in terms of gamma, black level, colour etc. then I can't wait!

Oooh! Looks good. I've been waiting to see how this technology will pan out. I'm looking forward to seeing them in real life. It looks very promising, but I guess we won't know until we see it.

To really emphasize the monitor advantages, Canon organised a test room with the SED placed between a plasma and a LCD TV. All of them where in full HD (1920x1080 pixels) and had 36” diagonal.
Hmmmmmmmmmm.... Slight lapse in credibility there, I think. How many 1920x1080, 36" plasma screens are there in the world?

I was looking forward to SED until I read the bit-tech article on high dynamic range LCDs using an LED based backlight.

Though the SED contrast ratio is impressive, the maximum screen brightness is only 400 cd/m². The Sunnybright HDR LCD can go up to 4000 cd/m² - 10 times brighter.

Thank you for the link Quickbeam - highly informative.

Are these canon models actually monitors? If so then I doubt size wise they will go much higher than 30" thus probably no need for support beams. Once bigger sizes come out there may be more issues.

Hopefully over time these screens will look even better than Plasmas and LCDs and be affordable.

For now though, LCD seems to be the best for monitor use.

4000 cd/m2 !! :eek: Who wears sunglasses to look at a monitor? I think 400 will do me fine. :smashin:

Steve

SED looks good, very good. But will it be here in time for the masses? Seems to be a big rush for LCD and Plasma at the moment with Sky HD giving another push to the market plus the World Cup factor.

Will we see 42" in the coming year???

AML said:
Are these canon models actually monitors? If so then I doubt size wise they will go much higher than 30" thus probably no need for support beams. Once bigger sizes come out there may be more issues.

Hopefully over time these screens will look even better than Plasmas and LCDs and be affordable.

For now though, LCD seems to be the best for monitor use.

Supposedly the first pilot plant will be producing 50" displays - maybe they will show more support issues?

Yep, I've read same as Stephen ... first commercial models will be 50".

IMHO SED technology looks very interesting: CRT quality level of gamma, black level, and colour reproduction in flat screen. PQ should blow away equivalent size LCD or plasma.

StooMonster

I think we owe it to ourselves to wait for this technology to come out.
I know people often say that you should just get whats avaiable, otherwise you would be waiting for ever.

But in this case I think it would be wise to wait. At least then we will have 3 types of Panel to choose from. (not counting projection technology.)

At the moment im using a decent enough plasma, and im thinking of waiting for 1080p displays that have more conections and dont suffer from burning issues.

Once I get exactly what I want, then ill commit to my next big purchase.

It's fair enough to say high resolution high contrast specs etc but does this really mean better picture? it might look very "digital" or processed or it might look smooth and natrual who knows?

welwynnick said:
Yeah - but just look at those blacks!!!
I bet the blacks are better but never the less all we are seeing is pictures on a pc screen and we all know those can easily be changed :)

I think this has been discussed before but if it is based on CRT technology then is there a burning issue with SED displays

rigman said:
I think this has been discussed before but if it is based on CRT technology then is there a burning issue with SED displays

Though hopefully this won't be as serious as plasmas - and I suspect it won't be as bad as CRT PJs either.

phillfyspoon said:
It's fair enough to say high resolution high contrast specs etc but does this really mean better picture? it might look very "digital" or processed or it might look smooth and natrual who knows?

Many of the current problems with flat panel displays are down to sub-field processing and dither used in plasmas to get the grey-scale granularity small enough (to avoid banding), as well as the long response times of LCD displays, and their poor black response, chromaticity and gamma. SED should avoid most of these pit falls.

It will presumably still require interlace to progressive conversion for interlace sources, and as a fixed pixel technology it will also require scaling for non-native resolution sources. So there is still scope for some "processing" issues I'm sure.

In the harware news section it gives a link to further information. It says the price will be slightly higher than LCD and it also says the first panels will be 50 inches.

However the only 50 inch LCD screens are rear projection. The biggest direct view I have seen is the sharp 45 inch which is very expensive so looks like SED is also going to be very expensive. Hopefully the prices will drop quickly and it will not suffer screen burn.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom