1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

canon comparison

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by chas1146, Oct 7, 2004.

1. chas1146

chas1146

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone explain why the canon a40 is about £100 dearer than the a200 yet both have 2 megapixels, and if possible can anyone email me a photo taken with an a40 so I can compare the two, as on the surface the a200 appears to be the better of the two :confused:

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mate you can get 5mp cams for £90 (but they're awful) mp does not always mean quality. The A40 has 3x optical zoom, The A200 is fixed thats where the money is being saved, plus it looks like a toy.

The A40 is the worth the extra

3. chas1146

chas1146

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply Keanyboy,
    I knew there had to be a reason for the difference in price, just didn't know what it was.so does the optical zoom make for a much clearer picture in zoom mode?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If you use an optical zoom you keep the full quality for the picture, but if useing digital zoom it is all done electronically and is in effect just cropping and then stretching the image back to its origional size. Or to put it another way, its like looking at a photo that has been printed through a magnifying glass - you get in closer but you start to see the individual dots that make up the picture.
    Better to do the cropping on a PC at a later date when you can undo it if the results are too poor. But if a pic is taken with digital zoom the only undo is to delete the pic.

Mark.