Canon AVI file -audio only in Vegas

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Geff, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Geff

Geff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Canon Power Shot A 620 still camera and occasionally use the movie option. The movie option creates an AVI file when downloaded and this is recognised by Media Player. Unfortunately when I try to load it into Vegas MS it only recognises the audio file. I have used Virtual Dub to convert it and this does work but a small 30 sec clip of 59mb converts to 1200mb is this acceptable???. The smaller file options in Virtual Dub (Direct Stream) still show only the audio file in Vegas.
    I have tried the Ulead AVI 1 to AVI 2 convertor but this states that it is not an AVI 1 file.
    Any help would be appreciated

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Geff,

The video codec must not be one which Vegas can recognise. Often installing a codec will also work in Vegas, but it depends on the type.

Given that filesize, Virtual Dub must be converting to uncompressed. And as long as the clips are short and you have the disc space, that will work fine, and not lose any quality.

3. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    The AVI from the Canon is a Motion Jpeg. The file pixel sizes are max of 640 X 480 ( VGA at 15 or 30 fps) and would not normally be importable in Vegas if no additional codec is present on the System

I have used Canopus Procoder ( or Procoder express if you can still get hold of it) to convert it to a DV AVI or mpeg2 (PAL) for use in Vegas but discovered that Vegas was able to accept it due to the appropriate codec being on my system( Have no idea how:confused: )
    I dont know of any freeware file converters ( like virtual Dub) which can help out

The MJpeg is not an AVI1 file as Uleads converter rightly reports