1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon A75

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by martynk, Nov 5, 2004.

1. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My kids (actually they're pretty grown up kids) don't want to use my Dimage 7i - too big, heavy, complicated and expensive, and I was thinking about an A75 but they seem way overpriced in South Africa and probably too sophisticated. I know it's got full auto capability, but the rest of the features just wouldn't get used. Any suggestions on a good "Point & Shoot"? Criteria - reputable manufacturer, around 3.0 MegP and optical viewfinder. Zoom doesn't really matter. Thanks.

2. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The A75 is a good choice and should be around £150ish to £170ish. I am a big fan of the camera as it has loadsa features, good quality, and very user friendly. The only downside being the AA batteries. The Olympus MJU300 doesnt sport as many features as the Canon so may be a bit more point and shoot orientated, but expect to pay more than for the A75 due to its metal body and lithium battery pack. In terms of value for mony in the point and shoot range if you are only after something reasonable quality I would look into the Pentax Optio S30 (just recently discontinued I think but sill worth a look) and the Nikon Coolpix 3200. Both have the 3mp and the 3x optical zoom. They also both require just 2 AA batteris in contrast with the Canons 4.

3. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, maybe I'll reconsider. The camera runs around R2,500 (over 200 pounds in SA) which seemed a bit pricey for what I wanted, but maybe I'll get one and use it as a back up/alternative as well. Don't really mind the penlight batteries - I've got plenty of rechargeables for the Dimage -so it's easy to carry spares, and you can buy Duracells just about anywhere in a pinch. An extra lithium battery is just not practical - incredible expensive.