Canon 7D or Nikon D300s: for ameture who already has D90

mirzaair

Standard Member
Hi All

I don't wana go in to the debate on Nikon or Canon!

I am an ameture photographer, I love to take photos but I have NO plan to print them in life size or send them to a compettition. But I DO lilke crispy, crystal clear sharp photos.And then i don't like complecated menue/setting system.

I have a Nikon D90 and might just have an opportunity to upgrade it. Therefore,

1. Shall I stick to D90?
2. or Canon 50D can be a good value upgrade
or
3. Nikon D300s or Canon 7D could be a good upgrade based on 'my amateurish' needs?

Thanks you all in adance.

Last edited:

Mike.P®

Hi All

I don't wana go in to the debate on Nikon or Canon!

3. Nikon D300s or Canon 7D could be a good upgrade based on 'my amateurish' needs?
How can you not get into a Nikon or Canon debate when that is exactly the question you are asking :confused:

willo

As Dazza said, your better off spending money on good glass. Bodies come and go but good quality glass will last you and a better investment.

mirzaair

Standard Member
Mike.P®;10846204 said:
How can you not get into a Nikon or Canon debate when that is exactly the question you are asking :confused:
Thanks for your time. If you kindly read my posting, I did say I am an amateur, I don't like complecated setting option etc. I will not make large prints or take part on a compettion but I would like to take crispy photos, so say just for the sake of it, 7D is a better camera but needs lot of skills to manupulate it, then it's not for me!

Last edited by a moderator:

mirzaair

Standard Member
I'd stick with what you have and spend the money instead on better quality lenses.

Hi Dazza74
Thanks for your suggestion. One more help please, I am thinking of bying a Sigma or Tamron 70-300mm lens but most of them are not VR lenses. Will it make it a big difference it trerms of taking photos?
(I am not going to take photos of Air Shows as I was told by a many that it may not be a good idea if I have Air show in my mind)

jomike

Hi Dazza74
Thanks for your suggestion. One more help please, I am thinking of bying a Sigma or Tamron 70-300mm lens but most of them are not VR lenses. Will it make it a big difference it trerms of taking photos?
(I am not going to take photos of Air Shows as I was told by a many that it may not be a good idea if I have Air show in my mind)
VR will get you more sharp pictures compared to non VR, particularly at focal lengths over 200mm when handholding in bad light. Why don't you look at the Nikon 70-300mm VR lens instead of the ones you mention. More expensive, but better picture and build quality. I have a Sigma 70-300mm APO on my D90 and it works OK but you have to have good light and a steady hand to get sharp pics. It is also sharper when stopped down to f/8, once again requiring good light.

Why would a 70-300mm lens not be suitable for airshows? I used my Sigma 70-300mm APO last year at the Farnborough airshow and it worked fine on my D50.

mirzaair

Standard Member
Why would a 70-300mm lens not be suitable for airshows? I used my Sigma 70-300mm APO last year at the Farnborough airshow
I was told by many that t woun't! just saw your photos and I can clearly see I was given wrong info.

And to be honest wth you Nikon 70-300 VR is simply too expensive for me now. I also have to save ££ for Tamron 10-24mm!

Thansk a lot for your time.

Dman77

Novice Member
I'm a bit confused :confused:

You have enough money to buy a D300s or a 7D, but want to scrimp on a zoom lens and don't have enough for the Nikon 70-300?

As has been said, if you're an amateur, the D90 is absolutely fine for your needs and then some. Invest in better glass. The Sigma and Tamron 70-300 would be good, but to be honest they're £120 for a reason.

You don't say what sort of photography you're into so it's hard to advise what will be best. You can pick up a 70-300mm Nikon for around £300 second hand, and you'd still have loads left to buy two other good lenses if you use the budget you'd need for a D300s or a 7D. Different good quality lenses will help you advance as a photographer more than having a nice expensive body with a budget lens on it.

Take good care of your lenses and they'll far outlive your bodies.

fyonn

The nikon D300s and the Canon 7D are amazing camera's, no doubt. I have a D300 and it's a great camera, but neither the posh nikon or canon will really do much that your D90 won't. a couple of minor features here and there, but most of it is down to the better handling and better build quality. The D90 is a great camera and does almost everything that the D300s does. Like most here, I'd recommend spending the money on some good glass instead.

dave

mirzaair

Standard Member
Hi Everyone

Thanks for your time and honest suggestion, I do appreciate it. I saw some fab (sharp, detail, really vivid/clear) images and I was under the impresion that I need a better camera. I will certainly cling onto my D90 and spend some ££ on good lenses.

THANKS ALL

senu

Novice Member
I think you need to shoot RAW , get lenses as good as you can afford ( as ofte repeated above) and invest a little time in Post Processing enhancement in software, and learn your D90 ..I suspect you arent tapping its potential

Unfortunately, Both the 7D and D300s may require that even with good lenses..

It isnt that hard ( and you can go at your own pace) and a lot of the Sharp Pics are also by Amatuers with the likes of D90 ( which is an excellent camera BTW) but with decent lenses, some shooting know how ( allthose Setting menus you want to avoid) and a little time on PP software on the PC or Mac

A Costlier body is no substitute for that. And even the D90 on Auto is a costly body being used below its potential

The Sharp colorful Pictures you see are a product of all that , not just a better Body

Last edited:

RobDickinson

Unfortunately, Both the 7D and D300s may require that even with good lenses..
I think that you'll get at least as good an image as you would from lesser cameras, but at a pixel level to get the most out of them your going to have to use the best glass and technique.

IMO the OP hasnt scratched the surface of the D90's abilities they dont seem to have a top quality lens for it nor prehaps have developed the photographic and processing skills to then turn out a good image from what the camera can capture.

4 years after buying a 350D (not my first camera either...) I'm stil progressing with technique and processing and notice a lot of difference with better glass.

senu

Novice Member
I think that you'll get at least as good an image as you would from lesser cameras, but at a pixel level to get the most out of them your going to have to use the best glass and technique.
Using the D300 as I do ,I think You only begin to get really good from it if you shoot RAW, and PP.
Its "out of the camera" jpegs may look " flat" compared to say the D40/60 and to a much lesser extent the D90

IMO the OP hasnt scratched the surface of the D90's abilities they dont seem to have a top quality lens for it nor prehaps have developed the photographic and processing skills to then turn out a good image from what the camera can capture.
Agree and I stated as much
4 years after buying a 350D (not my first camera either...) I'm stil progressing with technique and processing and notice a lot of difference with better glass.
:)
I have a 350D which is in my study ( "Error 99" and awaiting repair) but although I loved its imaging , Ive since found that the 30/40D bodies with better glass make it way easier to end up with more keepers
Certainly you could end up with near identical images with all 3 on a good day but the bigger bodies really are more responsive ( and accurate) In AF and burst mode. Incidentally despite very scanty differences on paper specs 40D is a better camera than the 30D
My take is that your better glass will perform even far better when you move on

I used the 40D and Nikon D700 recently at a Party simultaneosly ( kind of) and loved the D700, ( felt more substantial than the D300 ( got me lusting after a 5D Mk2 (FF) ) but looking at the Photos later I realised its not about the Body..really
That Said I think a 7D would be really nice!:rotfl:..with 17-55 f2.8 an 24-105! .. Need to do a few more night shifts..:devil:

Last edited:

RobDickinson

Haha have a friend with a D300 and he's very focused on correct exposure and to the right (using uniwb too) which seems to produce good clean images.

I've used 5D, D300, 40D plenty and at least played with most others, I think I've settled on the 7D purely because I want to shoot more sport and wildlife. Very tempted witha 5d2 tho. If I had the cash a D3x and 14-24f2.8 would be the option...

Biscuit761

Novice Member
I have recently upgraded from a D300 to D700 and I agree with Senu, it feels so much better, hardly use the poor D300 now.

I would agree with the majority here, for the £1000 or so the body will cost you get a 10 - 20 (or 10 - 24), a nice 17 - 50 Tamron and you will probably have enough for my favourite lens, the Nikon 80 - 200 F2.8, should be able to find a good S/H copy and that lens will really surprise you.

Also the nifty fifty should not be overlooked, used it last week for the first time on my D700, it has shot way up in my estimation.

Bill

willo

I have recently upgraded from a D300 to D700 and I agree with Senu, it feels so much better, hardly use the poor D300 now.

I would agree with the majority here, for the £1000 or so the body will cost you get a 10 - 20 (or 10 - 24), a nice 17 - 50 Tamron and you will probably have enough for my favourite lens, the Nikon 80 - 200 F2.8, should be able to find a good S/H copy and that lens will really surprise you.

Also the nifty fifty should not be overlooked, used it last week for the first time on my D700, it has shot way up in my estimation.

Bill
This is one of the things with the D700, if you use average glass it will show, this camera pretty much demands you use quality glass to get the best out of it. The nifty fifty is a fantastic lens, I'd imagine most D700 users have this tucked away in their bags.

jwramsay

How much you looking to sell your D90 for?