Canon 6d mk2 coming soon!

Well looking at their cameras released from 2012...it seems they completely ignore the offerings from other brands. This is exactly what Nokia did even after the iPhone completely shifted the market...thry continued to ignore innovation and we all know what happened then. Canon seems to be impressed by Nokia's strategy and we know what's coming soon lol

Canon's been busy with it's other business interests in the last couple of years (they are significant and profitable), the consumer camera side of the business has been somewhat neglected. So no Canon isn't likely to go the way of Nokia. As it is they could reverse engineer a Sony lens mount for it's EF and EF-S lens ranges and make money off the lenses that way. I don't think they've ruled out using Sony sensors either.
Most rumours point to Canon developing a Full Frame Mirrorless Camera for release in late 2018 or 2019 (or last time I looked). The 6D MKII feels like Canon looked at it's parts shelf and said "that'll do". If there is an FF Mirrorless on the way, I guess it'll have features the 6D MKII lacks.

No 4k ... low dynamic range for a £2000 camera in 2017 seems like an insult to Canon users really.

Fro Knows 6D2...

Just confirms what we've been saying. Yes you will get good pictures, but it's a limited crippled camera by current standards, especially for the price.

On a side not, I always thought Canon had nice colours but some of the skin tones on the portraits during the video (not in the studio) were awful. Doesn't help that he massively over processed the pics though.

No 4k ... low dynamic range for a £2000 camera in 2017 seems like an insult to Canon users really.

Canon will only react if there is a sales drop. Those on a budget will either go for a 6D MKII or the 80D. And those with a bit more cash will pony up for a 5D3 or 5D4. You should also keep in mind that not all Canon users are interested in video. 4K is nice (have it on my iPhone SE), but not essential for my needs. Canon knows it's userbase well, but they do seem to be taking the mickey of late. They have made a lot of progress in terms of AF and so on, but the sensor is the Achilles heel.

Just confirms what we've been saying. Yes you will get good pictures, but it's a limited crippled camera by current standards, especially for the price.

Tbh I can see the price dropping rapidly due to poor sales, Canon are either being stubborn and not willing to spend the cash on sensor development (cos it probably means the fabrication lines may need retooling thus eating into profit margins) or the rumours are true in regards to a Full Frame Mirrorless Camera. If those rumours are true, the 6D MKII makes a bit more sense - Mirrorless Camera with better DR, 4K and other features would I think push some Canon users towards it over the 6D MKII. Depends if they can get EF lenses on a mirrorless body without the need for an adaptor.

Canon fell behind before and then the first Rebel appeared. Will Canon pull off another Rebel like product ? No idea. But it's only a matter of time until Sony gets to grips with lenses and image processors.

On a side not, I always thought Canon had nice colours but some of the skin tones on the portraits during the video (not in the studio) were awful. Doesn't help that he massively over processed the pics though.

Probably best to wait and see what others do with it. I noticed that some reviewers will sometimes over process images to make a camera look worse than it is. Or they just aren't very good at processing raw files.

If I cobble together the money, I think at this point I'd buy a Sony A7 (I'm a cheapskate) and keep my 70D for wildlife.

Well 10 yrs ago Nokia thought a fruit company can not make a phone that will destroy their business within a couple of years...

10 years later Canon thinks a tv company can not make cameras that could compete with them...we know what's coming next

Well 10 yrs ago Nokia thought a fruit company can not make a phone that will destroy their business within a couple of years...

Nokia's is back on the comeback trail.

10 years later Canon thinks a tv company can not make cameras that could compete with them...we know what's coming next

Canon is much more than a consumer camera business these days, and that might be part of why they've not really moved their sensor technology along. As happens with Canon, they'll wait for a sales slump and then take action. It's all about the profits. The L lens range has been steadily upgraded in the last couple of years (along with a lot of patents for new optical formulas). Which some argue might point to higher resolution sensors being in development. No point having a snazzy sensor if your lens line up can't take advantage of it. If we ever see a Canon sensor that beats Sony, it'll appear in the 1D series first.

£1335 is a reasonable price I believe. If Canon had release it at something like this as a UK price I don't think it would have had such negative feedback. It would actually be a good bang for buck at this price, although if I was buying from scratch I'd still choose the D750.

The new Canon 6D2 has a worse sensor, if we complare it with the old 6D

It is weaker in some areas, stronger in others. We are also talking by very minor amounts, barely noticeable without a lot of measurebating. It is quite a step up in all other areas.

The thing is with sensors, that advancements are getting smaller each time. Dual pixel AF is a big jump. That aside, I am not sure we can expect much in the short term. We will need a fundamental change in the way sensors work for that to happen. The big leaps in the next 10 years will be processing. We are already seeing it in the mobile device world, some of that will I am sure appear in DSLRS or ML.

I do not really understand the obsession with sensor ratings. It is frankly amazing what we can do with and modern high end camera from the last 10 years or so. All can and do create images that make us laugh or cry, our jaws drop and any other emotion you can think of. I can honestly say the sensor has almost been a hindrance to my photography, many other things are far more important.

One of the biggest disappointments for me with the 6D2 is the AF spread. I find myself struggling sometimes with the D750 when shooting wildlife and that's wider than the 6D2. I certainly wouldn't want to have a smaller spread of AF points.

Not sure it was meant for that, the old 6D certainly was not. I have never owned a 6D of any sort. I remember however seeing how much the 6D was lambasted in the press and every online forum out there. Despite that, Canon sold them in buckets, and kept doing so for many years. The new model, despite the lack of 4K seems to be becoming increasingly popular amongst the vlogging community, possibly due to the flip screen and superb dpaf. It has always been Canons low end model, built to a price and filling its niche well. I think many are expecting too much from an entry level body. I say the same about the Nikon 600 series. Both brands offer reliable and well built cameras that perform well without topping a load of silly spec sheets and tests. Sony make less reliable, battery hungry spec sheet toppers. I have also found them lacking in many other ways in the field. Canikon also have a brilliant support network, something Sony and Pentax sadly lack. Don’t get me wrong, all these brands make wonderful cameras all filling their place in the market. We are lucky to have so many brands all pushing each other. We could have easily lost at least one in the recession.

Not sure it was meant for that, the old 6D certainly was not. I have never owned a 6D of any sort. I remember however seeing how much the 6D was lambasted in the press and every online forum out there. Despite that, Canon sold them in buckets, and kept doing so for many years. The new model, despite the lack of 4K seems to be becoming increasingly popular amongst the vlogging community, possibly due to the flip screen and superb dpaf. It has always been Canons low end model, built to a price and filling its niche well. I think many are expecting too much from an entry level body. I say the same about the Nikon 600 series. Both brands offer reliable and well built cameras that perform well without topping a load of silly spec sheets and tests. Sony make less reliable, battery hungry spec sheet toppers. I have also found them lacking in many other ways in the field. Canikon also have a brilliant support network, something Sony and Pentax sadly lack. Don’t get me wrong, all these brands make wonderful cameras all filling their place in the market. We are lucky to have so many brands all pushing each other. We could have easily lost at least one in the recession.
It's not a wildlife camera per se, but modern cameras get judged across all genres. AF spread of course is not just for wildlife, portraiture is another examples where AF spread is useful to save focus recomposing.

There's not doubt the 6D2 is a cracking camera, my main gripe with Canon is that they feel that they can release bodies with inferior spec to the competition (barring dual pixel), and usually more expensive. For example, if you were starting from scratch there's no way you'd choose the 6D2 over the D750 (control preference aside) unless you're a vlogger, and the D750 is over 3 years old.

As I say the 6D2 is a great camera, it's just a bug bear of mine. Latest tech should be at the top of the game, not second rate to several year old tech.

The 750 has dropped in price quite a bit. The 6D line was really to compete with the 600 series.

Thing is, you cannot tell from a spec sheet how a camera performs in the real world. I have used both and I can see obvious strengths in both of them, and obvious weaknesses. Both are different cameras that share a similar price point. I have also had extensive use of a D500, a D5, Sony A7 (various), A9, K1 As well as most of the Canon range. I would certainly not compare any of them based on spec sheets and YouTube reviews. They really do tell squat.

I would also add, that someone starting new would hopefully take advice and look for the lenses first, body second as part of investigating a system.

The 750 has dropped in price quite a bit. The 6D line was really to compete with the 600 series.

Thing is, you cannot tell from a spec sheet how a camera performs in the real world. I have used both and I can see obvious strengths in both of them, and obvious weaknesses. Both are different cameras that share a similar price point. I have also had extensive use of a D500, a D5, Sony A7 (various), A9, K1 As well as most of the Canon range. I would certainly not compare any of them based on spec sheets and YouTube reviews. They really do tell squat.

I would also add, that someone starting new would hopefully take advice and look for the lenses first, body second as part of investigating a system.
Tbh I think the D750 is the new D600 series, Nikon’s naming has gone to pot over the last few years. I think there’s enough real world testing done to show that the D750 out performs the 6D2 in most areas tbh, I always wait for these before making a judgement. But either way, it’s still a bug bear of mine ;)

But yes you should look at the system as a whole.

So I finally bought a 6DII after several months of deliberation. As a 6D user for the last 4 years and having built up a nice set of Canon prime lenses I wanted to get the 6DII on release but the poor reviews put me off, feeling that it wasn't much of an upgrade for the price. I'd love the 5DIV but I can't justify the price as a hobbyist.

What finally swung it for me was the price, I was able to get the body, battery grip and a second battery for £1377 from Panamoz which I think it a much more reasonable price than £1999 for the body alone.

I've had a few days to use it and initially my first impressions were not great. Although almost identical in size and weight it does feel a little less well built. It's hard to really explain why but it feels slightly 'cheaper'. Having said that in operation it's so similar but the whole experince using the camera feels a lot more polished and the many small improvements really start to notice. The touch screen is excellent and having the articulating screen is really going to offer different perspectives.

My biggest gripe with the 6D was the focussing and tracking. There were many times where the limitations were apparent and it did frustrate me. The 6DII focusing and tracking is a big improvement over the original. I haven't tested this thoroughly but I think it should be enough for me. DPAF via live view is a huge improvement over the slow live view experience on the 6D.

Like many people I was disappointed with reviews of the sensor and having seen some of my own RAW files I would say the 6DII is about the same as the 6D although the noise characteristics of the 6DII seem different and a little more 'corse'. This is only noticeable at very high iso or at 100% on screen

To sum up I am quite happy with the 6DII and will now be selling my 6D.

Great post Snake. Wishing you many happy hours of enjoyment with your new camera. Look forward to seeing some images from you.

Thanks. I'm hoping to get over Easter and see what it's like shooting. I'll likely post some examples and give my thoughts.

So I've been out and tested the 6D mk II in a variety of situations from street photos, family photos indoors and on an outdoor fashion shoot. I found it to be a solid all rounder and a more enjoyable experience from start to finish.

I think the biggest difference in use is the focussing and tracking in both live view and through the viewfinder. I'm able to get people moving around the frame that were either very hard or simply not possible due to the limited af system in the original.

I really enjoy using DPAF in live view especially with face tracking as it removes the need to focus and recompose which was very hit and miss before. I can trust that it will track the subject and keep the face in focus, even at wide open apertures.

I've noticed a much higher keeper rate and I'm also taking more shots too. Any shots that were blurry were down to user error, not having a high enough shutter speed for example when hand holding.

There were times when the focussing was not accurate but that was in tricky conditions. I was trying to shoot a squirrel climbing around a tree that was partially hidden by layers of blossom and with the camera set to centre point spot focus it didn't get the squirrel but the blossom. Considering the squirrel was dark and lacked contrast that is not suprising.

The new wifi and bluetooth features have also proved quite useful. I'm now shooting RAW+JPEG and sending the jpegs to my phone or tablet.

I haven't tested everything in the camera but I will try the video and timelapse features soon.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom